Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uggghhh!! New here and....

BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a XL today and putting it together was a Pain in the you know what. I am guess the XL is more difficult to put together than the other models due to the hinge system. Everything has to be precise. Well I ender up breaking off 2 bolts and the big bolt on the top band will not come off and it is causing the top band to bend. I just left it sitting there. I need to cut the large bolt off and get a new one. Is this something I can get at the hardware store or do I need to get one direct from BGE? I have 2 extra bolts left over from the band where the hinges attached so I can use those to replace the 2 that broke but the band is causing some concern.

Comments

• Welcome to the Forum. Lots of help here with cooking and fixing! Sorry you are experiencing early problems.

I don't have an XL, but there will soon be plenty of help offered here by very smart ones.
  • CPB
    CPB Posts: 133
    If you can post some pics that will help
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wondering why your dealer didn't set it up for you. I would say they should come over and get you squared away. The bolts can be purchased at any hardware store.
  • B) Call your dealer is the best advise offered so far!
    Precise assembly leads to great cooks! Hope your next post is of some really super food pics :woohoo:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Have the dealer rectify the situation. My dealer only delivers assembled Eggs. No need for the customer to have to figure out the proceedure. :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I think assembling your own egg is a good thing. No one is gonna do as good a job as you. And you learn about the egg.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    If you get the fasteners. Make sure the 2 bolts that hold the bands are GALVANIZED. They won't rust. I think they are 5/16-18x2 or 2 1/2. Call the dealer and see if he can help you out as well. You spent a lot of money and you want it done right.

Good luck and Congrats on the new EGG.

Gary
  • Pics would help a lot but it sound like you may be to a point where dealer intervention is needed. I would hate to see you trash the bands before your first cook. :ermm: I do agree with Bacchus though you need to know how to do it. :)
  • Yes you can get the new bolt at the hardware store. Once you have it in place make sure you tighten it until it is bent. A straight bolt will not have the proper tension on it to hold the lid in place once the dome heats up. Sorry you had so many problems. I assembled my XL and Med, so I know what you went through.
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    I just put together my Large Egg last night, in the blowing cold. I am surprised you had extra bolts, I did not have any extra.

The hinge has 4 bolts per band, for a total of 8. Then the handle takes two bolts.

Make sure you align it well, do not worry about the holes in the band being ligned up, they will align when tightened. Just align the top and bottom exactly with the indents.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Most of the time our eggs are sold ready to cook on. Once in a while one goes out in the box. Shame on your dealer, also never have we gotten extra nuts, bolts. That would be a welcome thing, It's alwayse nice to see an extra nut etc. Your dealer / salesperson SHOULD come to the rescue. Tell them to EGG UP & git er done. :):):) to you.
  • Ripnem
    Betcha donuts to dollars they didn't pack extra bolts. The dealer needs to get his sweet little butt out to show him how it's done.
  • My dealer or shall I say the salesman had no interest in setting it up. Said they didn't want to be liable. the only reason I bought from this dealer is because I only paid $900 for the XL when the other local dealers wanted something like $1200. I have a call into BGE without a response yet so we will see how that goes. I will go ahead and call the dealer too to see what they say and maybe get someone on the phone who knows what they are talking about. The young guy I bought it from looks and acts like a stoner. A real idiot.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I was thinking the same thing, I've put together a lg,md and sm. no exta parts. :)

Hope he gets some help.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • BBQ BOY,

A picture would help a lot. If the carriage bolt is bending the tabs on the top band, that is correct. In fact you want the actual bolt to bend. I've assembled a lot of eggs and never had any extra bolts. You are sure you had extras?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    That being the case I'd say you are better off doing it on your own with the help of BGE customer service and some of the more knowledgeble follks here on the forum. If any parts are damaged or missing during the process, raise 9 kinds of hell until the dealer replaces them, which they WILL have to do.
    Be patient, BGE company will make it right.
  • Ripnem
    Steve,
    You or Eddie should get on the horn with this guy and get that egg cooking. Poor guy doesn't deserve crap like this. I don't have an XL yet so I'm not much help.

I would be a very deeeep shade of red :evil: ......like your....oh, nevermind :P

Adam
  • Thanks guys. I was able to get in contact with BGE's customer service today. I spoke with a great guy by the name of Bruce. he was very pleasant to deal with. he is sending me out some new bolt kits and even gave me a better way of putting it together. He told me to put the band, springs together while off the egg and just hand tighten everything. Then install and tighten down, He also said the way the top band twisted just a little bit was OK as well.
    I had to cut the carriage bolts off today because they were not coming off due to be stripped. How they stripped I do not know. Anyway, I am just glad the factory is a pleasure to deal with because I was about to box the thing up and take it back because the dealer gave me such a bad taste in my mouth. No pun intended.
  • Bacchus
    Good Job. Some dealers are better than others.
    We are lucky that BGE customer service and the company in general are so good to deal with.