Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to grill????

Options
greennewb
greennewb Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As you can tell from the name, I'm a newbie. I have had the XL egg for about a month and cook on it all the time! I LOVE pizza on the egg, and have cooked chicken until I'm sick of it. I did slow cook thick cuts of porksteaks and they were awesome.
Just looking for ideas of other beef/pork things to cook. Besides steaks and pork steaks what are some of your favorites?
Thanks

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    With a name like mine? Why, pork butt of course! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    pit beef is hard to beat!!

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm

welcome to the forum!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Shrimp

Spicy Shrimp

Ingredients:
    • 1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for a handle, butter flied
    • 2 Clove Garlic, minced
    • 1 Tbs Kosher salt
    • 1 tsp Paprika
    • ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp Lemon juice
    • 2 Tbs Olive oil
    Cooking Directions:
    • These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam's club. Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves (minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal (easier). Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now. Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don't overcook! Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy. -RP
    Source BGE forum recipe section

Submitted by AZRP (Randy Price)

or Shrimp burgers

Shrimp, Burgers

Ingredients :
    1 lb raw Shrimp (cleaned, shelled & deveined)
    1 Egg
    1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley Leaves
    1/2 cup Panko Crumbs
    Kosher Salt
    Freshly ground Black Pepper
    Wasabi Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
    Wasabi Mayonnaise :
    1 cup Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup prepared Wasabi (available in the Asian section of your supermarket)
    1 tsp freshly grated Ginger
    2 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 tsp Sugar
    pinch Salt

Preparation :
    1 In a food processor, process half the shrimp with the egg. Coarsely chop the
    2 remaining shrimp and put it into a bowl. Add the processed shrimp and the parsley,
    3 panko crumbs, salt and pepper to taste. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form
    4 them into patties (a round cookie cutter works well for forming the shrimp burgers.
    5 Put the cookie cutter on freezer or waxed paper and fill with the shrimp mixture,
    6 then gently pull off the cookie cutter). After the burgers are formed, put them in the
    7 refrigerator for about 2 hours to help them firm up.
    8 Stabilize egg at 350° with a raised grid. Place the burgers on a perforated pan such
    9 as a pizza pan with holes or a porcelain coated cooking grid. Place pan on the raised
    10 grid and grill until cooked through, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
    11 Remove the burgers to an english muffin half that has been spread with the Wasabi
    12 Mayonnaise. Add more Wasabi Mayonnaise on top of the shrimp burger. Cut into
    13 quarters and enjoy!
    14 Wasabi Mayonnaise :
    15 Mix all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cover and
    16 refrigerate until ready to use.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: J. Curtis Taylor (SSN686)

Cioppino

Cioppino:
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large green pepper, diced
    1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    ¼ cup olive oil

In a soup pot, sauté the vegetables in the oil until soft

1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
    3 14-½ oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
    1 cup water
    10oz. Tomato juice
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Dried basil
    ½ tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp Parsley

Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
    1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
    1 large Dungeness crab, cleaned and broken into pieces
    1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)

bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp).

Notes:
    If using imitation crab get some legs for looks and the stock
    Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.

Note: I have never cooked this on the egg, I am wondering how the smoke will change the flavor also the change if using flvor wood. Egg cooking is a next few days project.

I hope whoever tries this enjoys it as much as I do.

Kent

Chili

Cin Chili Recipe courtesy Cindy Wilkins
    See this recipe on air Saturday Mar. 22 at 4:30 PM ET/PT.

Show: Throwdown with Bobby Flay
    Episode: Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 (14-ounce) can beef broth (recommended: Swanson's)
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (recommended: Hunt's)
    Batch one:
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon jalapeno powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
    1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules

Batch two:
    5 tablespoons red chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon brown sugar

Batch three:
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

In a large heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
    Season with salt and drain off the excess grease. Add the tomato sauce and the beef broth and simmer for 1 hour. Add all of the
    ingredients from Batch one, stir and simmer for 35 more minutes. Add Batch two to the pot and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring often.
    Add Batch three and cook for 10 more minutes. Let cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use in Cin Chili
    Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Cin Chili Puffs, and Cin Chili Con Queso.

Let me know if you'd like more recipes.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Country Ribs
    Huge Thick Burgers, charred black on the outside pink in middle.
    Beef/Pineapple Terryaki Skewers
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Melt some cheese on those burgers and top with sauteed onions (or egged if you insist). Then, blend some mayo, a little dijon and chopped chives. Awesome!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Options
    Hey, dont go messin with my burgers, newbie. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hey, I'm not a noob any more...I'm a GOLD EGGER!! So back off! :lol::lol::lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• greennewb
    Options
    All sounds good!!! I forgot to mention that I cooked burgers the other night. They were good, but I just couldn't trust my Thermapen. Left them on too long. Need to try it again.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize. No more newbiness for you....
    Congrats Golden One, you can put cheese on my burgers anyday, just stay away with the friggin mayo!!!

I'm soo proud.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    greennewb,

Rack of lamb or chops
    Thick veal chops
    Stuffed burgers
    Stuffed pork tenderloin
    Chili
    Stew

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Meat loaf!! use your favorite meatloaf recipe, you can cook it in a loaf pan or a CI skillet, I do mine indirect, platesetter legs up, right on the grid 350 dome to 160 internal, use a little hickory or oak smoke careful with oak, it can get strong).

this time of year, we do a lot of soups, chili, and gumbos in a CI dutch oven, cook as you would on the stove, only leave the lid off for the smoke flavor, dome around 250-300

For thanksgiving, I did a couple of casseroles on my large, no added smoke, just the lump, cooked them uncovered the last 30 minutes, everybody raved about the flavor difference between those and the ones that were cooked in the oven

Have Fun,
    Kendell
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    It really is quite good, if not particularly healthy. Heaping tbls mayo, tsp dijon and chopped chives. Even taste testing it is great!! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Here's a few ideas for ya :whistle:

Boston butts:

DSC_0044-5.jpg

Ham:

DSC_0055-1.jpg

Sausage&cheese crackers:

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0149-1.jpg

Cheesesteaks:

DSC_0054-5.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Brats:

DSC_0054-3.jpg

And one of my favorites,babyback ribs :) :

DSC_0129.jpg

I hope this helps,cause I'm getting tired of looking through my old pics :lol:;)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Sparky, where were all those pictures taken? Ive never seen that sort of stuff at your place.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You kidding? I think most of it was cooked by you, me, or Teddy.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Stirfry

4.jpg

ABT's

100_1631.jpg

Fatties

fattiewings.jpg

Pretzels

100_1864.jpg

Pizza

101_2165.jpg

Beef ribs

101_2142.jpg

Country ribs

101_2347.jpg

Mushrooms

101_2289.jpg

Well I think you have a few ideas
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    HAHA Ron,they were all taken in my backyard.....I think....just like this one :P

DSC_0078.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • greennewb
    Options
    Gosh it all looks so good!
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Looks good my friend.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    It was,,, at least the pics I didn't steal from Fidel :ohmy:
  • BENTE
    Options
    WOW doug what a great picture!! how on earth did you think to take that picture all by yourself?

maybe you should email a copy of that picture to the guy who told you to take the photo and please send him a copy of it :whistle: :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    The ignition man himself ;) :laugh: :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I would send it to him,but I forgot his name :whistle::lol: I'll send it to him soon ;) :laugh:
  • BENTE
    Options
    you are too funny

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• "Sparky"
    Options
    BTW:You missed one :lol: #8 I do believe,just sayin :laugh:
  • BENTE
    Options
    someone had to light them just glad i did not use pete's mapp torch

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    it is just the way you are holding the camera :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I cook flank steak all the time - its good eats and the price is right. I'll also cook baked potatoes and asparagus to top it off..

Marinate flank steak for +3hrs (6-8hrs is perfect) in a mixture of 1/2C olive oil, 1/2Cup red wine vinegar, juice from 1 lime, kosher salt, pepper, oregano, rosmary, garlic powder, onion powder. (or you can use italian dressing instead of mixing it yourself). I can marinate 2 flank steaks in a 2Gallon Ziplock w/1C marinate.

After you marinate bring to room temp or hot tub. I cook 450° to 500° direct, top of fire ring level until the flank steak is at 125° (Med Rare) usually I flip it twice for a total of ~5-6min each side. tent in foil and let sit for 10 min... Slice thin against the grain... Enjoy...

Good luck.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    newb,

there is a whole cookbook section at the top of the forum page. Lots of recipes to try!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    If I may be so bold, but if you want to have/save any pic posted on the forum, just right click on it and select "save picture as" and it will be saved to your hard drive. This works for PC's.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap