Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thighs still underdone

Options
jpEGG
jpEGG Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did the MM bird to a T, iced 25 minutes, etc. After 3.5 hours, the breast was running 165 and the thighs were about the same. Not knowing what else to do and not wanting to ruin perfect a breast, I pulled and let rest for 40 minutes. As expected, the white meat was perfect, both in moistness and taste, and the dark meat was not servable. This is the second time this has happened to me. Must be something in the set up: Dome at 330, platesetter legs up, three chunks of fire brick with the roasting pan on that. Bird on a rack in the pan.

In the meantime, I'll continue roasting the legs and thighs tomorrow and ponder the next MM adventure. Everything else was absolutely perfect,

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Separate the lower torso from the breast and put it back in the egg? Next time, you may want to try adding some salt to the ice cubes to maximise the chilling.
    canuckland
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I iced the breast for an hour. Funny thing, though. One side of the turk browned well, but the other half didn't. Yes, I rotated the bird in the egg. Twice. However, the breast was superb! It was absolutely the best I've ever had.I'm gonna do this again for Christmas.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Try cooking with the breast down in addition to your other preparations.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    The bottom of it didn't brown at all. I may need a different pan.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hornhonk....Did you have the bird on some sort of rack to keep it out of the drippings in the pan? May not need a new pan at all, but perhaps a rack that will help the bird set half an inch or so above the bottom of the pan? Sounds like the bottom of the bird was in the drippings?? Not seeing pics, this is just a thought.....
  • hornhonk
    Options
    I had it in a v-rack sitting a few inches above the liquid. The only thing I can figure is maybe the All-Clad didn't let it get hot enough to brown. What do you think, LC ?
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 61
    Options
    Same situation with me. I cooked the bird a little longer resulting in servable dark meat but the breast was a little over. Using Pan with rack above drippings.

I had a spyder with stone for indirect. Placed a tray full of water under the turkey (directly on stone). Water was boiling most of the time and didn't know if that was a good thing

I've read other discussions where the back of the egg is hotter than the front. Some intentionally starting the lump towards the back of the egg. Many keeping the breast towards the front with the legs at back. I finally ended up with the legs facing the back but probably too late by the time I figured this all out.

I was also VERY conservative with the apple chips after reading all of the warnings. Could have used more smoke flavor in Turkey. Will add more chips next time.

Great learning experience. Just need to tweak this out.
    Want to do this again soon.
    Gravy saved the day for me.
  • Raxus
    Raxus Posts: 21
    Options
    I used 2 medium sized chunks of apple wood Rod. Flavor was amazing. Try that next time.

Rax
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ditto here. Breast at 165 and thigh at 152??? I pulled the bird, sliced the breasts off whole and put the foil covered carcass back on the egg for another hour till the thighs hit 180. Timing worked out ok luckily and all was served at once. I iced the breasts as well and had the bird sitting in a v-rack in a drip pan above the liquid. Don't know what to make of it? :blink: First time it happened to me. It was a 22 lb. fresh turkey. Don't know if the large size had anything to do with it or not, but it was the biggest one I've done.

Mark
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 61
    Options
    We had a fresh 18.5 butterball turkey. The skin was wrapped over the legs keeping them tight to the turkey. Wonder if the legs should be unrestrained to expose the thigh more? :huh:

I had even thought about putting bacon over the breast after the butter mixture melted. Still pondering this one.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mark,

That has happened to me once. It was a large bird also.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hornhonk
    Options
    Mine was only 12 pounds. I guess the size is not a factor.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We cooked a 14 pound bird. His name was Norman for 3½ hours, then Carcase.

I noticed that the gallon size Zip-Lock bag of ice draped over and was touching the leggs on both sides. So I positioned the bag differently thinking I didn't want ice touching the leggs. Maybe your ice bag was touching the legs at some point.

I didn't rotate at all and it was fine.

I probably had way too much liquid in the pan. The turkey was in the liquid for a long time. The meat, light and dark, was very moist and I'm wondering if the liquid in the pan absorbed up into the turkey.

The breast was 160° and the leg/thigh was 180° on the money when I pulled it off. I cooked it at 350° for 3½ hours, basting frequently during the last two hours. I used my BBQ Guru, a remote thermometer and a Polder. The numbers were all within 1-2° of each other.

I would have liked the skin to be a bit more crispy but the meat was out of this world delicious.

We're thinking of cooking another one soon because this one is almost completely gone already.

Spring "Around Here 'Bird Brain' Is A Complement" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA