Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egert ham receipe

Options
skeeter
skeeter Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
would someone please post Egert's ham receipe...thank you

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    To die for. Just did a 12 pounder this past Sunday.

Pork, Ham, Bourbon, Maple, Spiral Cut, Richard Fl

100_2396.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    10-12 lbs Cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 tsp coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Procedure :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
    2 locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    3 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
    5 can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    6 Cooking
    7 Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid
    8 attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised
    9 grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).
    10 I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/02/15

2008/10/21
    Egret--This really is good if I say so myself. I got the maple-bourbon paste recipe off this forum from some unknown source, but, it provides a perfect balance of heat when coupled with the maple syrup infused ham.

2009/02/15---Richard Fl-- Basted 3 hours before cook and did not inject only cut many little slits. Used a 10# spiral cut and pulled at 140, 3 hours into cook. Indirect on SBGE at 250F, maple wood. Due to spiral cut will pull at 135 next time as some of the edges were a little dry.

2009/11/26--Richard Fl- Took an 11 pound spiral cut, marinated 3 hours, cooked 250F indirect with apple wood. Used Pixie Dust for the onion and paprika seasoning. After 2 1/2 hours shut the Large BGE down and placed commercial glaze on ham, cinammon/sugar. Let sit in BGE for 30 minutes and then pulled. Internal 138F another eggcelent ham.
    BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Egret
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    TILT TILT TILT

you injected a spiral cut ham? Bet that was a little sloppy! :laugh:

Actually that recipe is one of our favorites but I always use a bone in ham and that keeps the injected ingredients inside to do what they are meant to do...kick that leg of piggy through the goalposts!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I do not inject it, just poke some holes in the vertical and allow the goo to seep in. Place most of the marinade between the slices.