Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loin Pork Chops YUM!

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I stopped by my favorite meat counter the other day at Sam's and found whole boneless pork loins for $1.48/#. I thought that sounded like a pretty good price so I selected one at about 9+ pounds. At home I grabbed the 8" Shun and a ruler and tackled it. I settled on 1 1/2" thick and the recently sharpened Shun cut them like butter.

DSCN5907_640.jpg

This loin had a nice little marbling of fat. I figure if it is good for beef why not pork?

DSCN5909_640.jpg

Tonight I rubbed 3 with sea salt, pepper and my homemade rub. The rest (12) are safely FoodSaver packed and in the freezer.

My Rub

1/2 C paprika
1/4 C fine Sea salt
2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
2 T Dry Mustard
1/4 C Chilli powder
1/4 C Cumin
2 T Blk. Pepper
2 T Garlic powder
1 T Onion powder
1 t Cayenne pepper
1 T Nutmeg
1 T Cinnamon

DSCN5929_640.jpg

I heated the egg up to 400º with the lump that was in it, a mix of Royal Oak and mesquite charcoal and put them on a raised grid. It has been awhile since I have cooked pork chops and my thought was to treat them similar to the large chicken breast I have been cooking recently. They have been coming out perfect and these chops were a similar chunk of protein.

DSCN5931_640.jpg

Turning about every 4 minutes had them to about 145º internal in about 20 minutes and ready for a little sauce.

DSCN5939_640.jpg

Tender, juicy and full of flavor is almost an understatement. Some of the best pork I have had in a long time.

Gator

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    They are beautiul!! Love me some fat chops!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Looking great!

Lately, I've been using S & P. Also, taking an [approximately] 1 TBS+ of honey, mixed with half that amount of balsamic... which is slathered onto both sides of the meat.

Simple! Easey-peasey!

But -- Oh! How Yummy!

See Ya!

~ Broc
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    As a newbie, it is fun to see what you can do with cheaper cuts (and a good thermometer!) ;). Pics look great!!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Evening Molly,

My intention was to leave the fat on the chops and trim it off after they had been cooked, letting them get the maximum flavor and then trim the calories off. :blush:

It didn't go exactly as planned. The fat was so buttery and good tasting I'm afraid nothing got trimmed. :blush:

I am so weak . . . :lol:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Broc,

Thanks, I love the sounds of your honey/balsamic slather. I'm going to have to try that, it sounds fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

Gator

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Funny!!! As 'they' say, fat is flava :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi LFG,

Thanks, these might be a cheaper cut but they eat like the best steak! I am delighted when a good steak comes out this good. Like a good steak I thought if I left them nice and thick they wouldn't dry out. I think I was right. I have never seen a forum where photos were so appreciated. The members here are pretty amazing when it comes to photography. Thanks again.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, when it comes to pork fat, no argument there!

Gator

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a great looking cook ,inspires one to cook good meats and to the perfect temp.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a great looking cook ,inspires one to cook good meats and to the perfect temp.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Dale,

It's a great reminder why the egg is so great. Especially when you get it right.

Gator

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Looks like a great meal. I personally think pork chops are under-rated....

Wayne
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Gator - great looking cook! Inspired to make a trip to Sams!

I saved your rub recipe, but have a couple of questions.

1) How do you store it? Zip lock, bottle/ Do you refrigerate or freeze until use?

2) What do you use it on besides pork? Chicken?

3) In your post above, you said you added extra sea salt and pepper, in addition to the rub, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks. I look forward to trying this!

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Wayne,

Thanks, Pork chops have always been one of my favorites. When I was little we had a next door neighbor that could cook the worlds best pork chops. I never learned her trick but often when they were having them for dinner she would invite me over to eat with them. Just me, not the rest of the family, at seven or eight years old I wasn't very good at keeping it a secret how much I loved her pork chops. LOL, Ahhhh, the good ol' days. :lol:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Clark,

Thanks. My rub is popular with the family, it is not hot, tends to be a little sweet and has good flavor. I started storing it in Zip Lock bags when I first started making it and that works pretty good. Since then I have collected enough spice and herb bottles with shaker tops to store it in them. I think an air tight bottle will keep it the longest. After all, that is how all your spices are packaged.
    Yup, I use it on mostly pork and chicken. For my pallet they seam to lend themselves to rubs more then beef or lamb. I think I cook steaks at to high a temp and would probably burn a rub. I never thought to use it on burgers but now you have me thinking I will have to give that a try. I can't afford fish, LOL, but I would probably try it on a piece of grouper or some BBQ'ed shrimp wrapped in bacon. On the egg that might be very good. Hahahaha, I'm drooling now!
    Yes, I did use more salt and pepper. It was a reflex action and I though about it as I did it and just shrugged my shoulders and figured I would let it ride this time. I love salt, I have all my life. By the time I got these to the table I was not aware of them being to salty or peppery (?). Next time I will omit the extra salt and pepper, it most likely was not needed.
    My sister and BIL and my niece and her husband love it on ribs. I really lay it on pretty thick when I do a Boston Butt for pulled pork. Then after the pork is all pulled I mix in a little more, a little sauce and a little splash of cider vinegar.
    I buy any spices and herbs I can at Sam's. You get the large bottles for less then what Publix would charge for the small ones. Brown sugar on the other hand I get at Publix so I don't have to store 5 pounds of it and it is cheap enough. Walmart has some good prices on spices and herbs also.
    Rub recipes are always a work in progress. It takes time to test them. I need to make some now and will go with this recipe again. I started with more Cayenne pepper and less sugar and have adjusted a couple times. T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon. This recipe makes a good sized amount so there is enough to get a good feeling for it yet you aren't stuck with buckets of the stuff should you do not like it.
    Let me know what you think and if it needs anything. I am always happy to hear other peoples thoughts.

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also, I'm lucky, I get to be a guest! No cooking this year. :laugh:

Gator

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    looks great Gator. Can you tell us about the sauce?