Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect heat and smoking my meat. . .

Options
Ogre
Ogre Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been egging for awhile but want to kick it up a notch. Two questions:[p]1. Does v-rack and drip pan on the standard grid achieve the same results as that raised grid thing I see in the BGE store?[p]2. Where's a good place to get wood chunks (not chips) in the Atlanta area-- Im somewhat of a purist but am doing a butt and want to try something different.[p]Thanks in advance--keep on egging![p]I am,[p]Ogre

Comments

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    Ogre,
    Can't answer specific Atlanta questions but can say[p]1) I've used a v rack, a pan, and good old rolled up tin foil many times and haven't noticed much difference.[p]2) Any BBQ Galore (chain store) has medium sized wood chunks by the bag....

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Ogre, Just about any Kroger sells Mesquite and Hickory chunks. Several Eggers around me use them and they work great. Smokin Joe[p]
  • Ogre
    Ogre Posts: 7
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Must be different where youre at- Ive only found chips but no chunks. Thanks for the help though- maybe Ill just expand my search area![p] Ogre[p]

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Ogre, Where are you? I'm in Suwanee, GA (for now)... I've moved a lot on the corporate relo merry-go-round. Other sources could be Home Depot especially in the Spring when they feature grilling products, smokers etc. They usually have both chunks & chips. Other possibilities are BBQ Galore stores, Wal-Mart or even some local fire wood spot??? Sometime these fire wood guys have mesquite (in the Southwest states) and others have hickory (in the Southeast states). You might be able to buy foot longs and cut them to the size you want??? Good luck in your search. Keep us posted when/where you find your wood. Smokin Joe[p]