Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on 20lb Turkey cooking time

Options
BobbyG
BobbyG Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gang,
I'm pretty experienced at egging turkeys but this is my first big boy 20 pounder. My question is will this take 4 to 5 hours (my calculation using 12-15 min. per lb)? I'm cooking at 325* to 165* breast temp. Please tell me what you know.[p]Thanks, BobbyG

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    BobbyG,
    you're fine with all those specs - as you know by now Humpty is pretty forgiving. One little hint...if you want to drive the neighborhood nuts throw a large peeled white onion on the coals when you put the bird on.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BobbyG,
    Have a good thermometer and plan more on the 12 min per pound range and you'll be fine.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BobbyG,
    when i did my 19.5 pounder at thanksgiving, i did it in a traditional roasting plan set over a water pan. .. at 325 dome temp it took almost 7 1/2 hours (which is about what i planned, as its what i do in the oven). . ..it came out fantastic![p]in fact, just last week i pulled the frozen leftovers out of the freezer (i had frozen a whole breast side and gravy), and it was every bit as good as it was on turkey day.. ..