Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggspert Advice Needed

Options
Daniel
Daniel Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I am a fairly new Egg owner and have had limited success with my Egg so far. I was wondering if people could help me with some advice on fueling my Egg.

I bought my Egg from Barbeques Galore and the guy there told me that I should keep the air holes on the inside of the Egg free of charcoal and suggested I make a conical mound of charcoal and not let it touch the sides of the Egg. I tried this and found that the cooking time using this method is very limited. It was less than 3 and a half hours.

Following the example of the video on the DVD, I poured charcoal into the bottom of the Egg until the charcoal just covered the side airholes. I also added my soaked woodchips to the top of the charcoal in a similar fashion shown on the video. This also didn't last as long as I had hoped, perhaps 4 and a half hours and it took forever for it to really get going (because of the wet woodchips I suspect).

In both cases, the fuel was almost completely consumed, so the Egg is burning the fuel that there is, it is just not lasting the distance.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Can anyone share their eggsperiences on how to fuel the Egg with enough charcoal to last 6+ hours?

2. Has anyone ever set up their egg so that the wet woodchips are laid on the charcoal before the charcoal is lit (as per the BGE DVD)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Daniel.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Use more charcoal!I sometimes fill mine to the top of the FIRERING,not fire box.Have gone 30 plus hours on a lo-n-slo!Good luck! ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. You will find there are at least two camps when it comes to fueling the egg around here. Some stack the lump charcoal by hand starting with the largest pieces first. This in theory will allow greater air circulation from the bottom up, a key to a great fire on the egg. Then there are those that just dump the lump and pour it into the egg with little ceremony. Either way air flow is critical. The air holes in the side of the firebox need to be kept unclogged and the charcoal can't be so packed as to restrict much air flow. I am a dumper but do pay attention to how the lump fills the grill. A lot of small bits in the bottom of the firebox (or in any one location) are not going to give good air flow. A good mix of sizes of lump will give good airflow. As I get to the bottom of a bag of lump I start paying more attention as to what is coming out of the bag. Often the bottom is a lot of small pieces and dust that can kill air flow and I might save it to mix with a newer bag. You can fill the lump to the top of the fire ring with no problems and do not worry about it touching the sides. A wiggle wire of some sort is very helpful for clearing air passages through the lump and clearing holes in the bottom grate or in the sides of the fire box should they get clogged with charcoal or ash. Some people mound the lump, others don't. I don't, I start with a load of lump usually large enough to do a couple of meals or filled to the top of the fire ring for a low 'n slow and level it off. I light my egg with a MAPP torch. A low 'n slow I will light one spot in the center. An average fire I might light at 3 locations such as at 8, 12 and 4 o'clock. If I'm in a hurry for a hot fire I will light the whole darn thing! LOL, I have a medium egg and a very hot torch (Brensomatic TS8000).
    My medium egg loaded to the top of the fire ring for a low 'n slow will burn for at least 20-24 hours at 230º.
    If I ever have trouble getting the egg up to temp I know it is an air problem and I have to clear my air flow. I guess damp/wet charcoal could act the same way but I store mine well and that is not a problem.
    Wood chips and chunks do not need to be soaked for use on the egg but if you want to I would add them after my fire is going. I have noticed that on a hotter fire smoke wood burns more aggressively and smokes less. On a lower fire it smolders better and gives off more smoke.
    I am no eggspert but the night shift gets pretty quiet around here early. LOL. Glad you found the forum, this is a great place to learn and is populated by some of the nicest people anywhere.

Good luck,

Gator

• Michael B
    Options
    > I bought my Egg from Barbeques Galore

First mistake.

> the guy there told me that I should keep the air holes on the inside of the Egg free of charcoal and suggested I make a conical mound of charcoal and not let it touch the sides of the Egg.

second mistake

> Following the example of the video on the DVD, I
    > poured charcoal into the bottom of the Egg until
    > the charcoal just covered the side airholes. I also
    > added my soaked woodchips to the top of the
    > charcoal in a similar fashion shown on the video.

Unless you are doing a realy low temp smoke (near ambient temps) fill at least to the top of the firebox.

> wet woodchips...

Never soak chips.
    When cooking at smoking temps the oxigen is used up keeping the fire going. Dry chips will not flare.
    Wet chips smolder for a while (not good), then dry out and do what they would have done if you had put them in dry.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The time your egg will depend somewhat on how hot you will be cooking.

Loading your egg light, say to just above the air holes in the fire box will give a good long burn at a lower temperature, but at 600° of course you will be using a lot of fuel (lump). However, even at 600° you should get 4 to 7 hours of cooking (on my large).

If it takes a long time for you to get the temperature up to the cook temperature, that too may use a lot of fuel.

I have the older style medium and if I not careful on how I have the egg set up it takes a lot of lump and time to get to 500°. In those cases the cooking time is not so long.

I used to take a lot of care in building my lump stack, but no mere. If I am loading an empty egg I put some larger pieces of lump over the fire grate then just dump the rest in. I don't often fill much over the top of the air holes int he fire box unless I am going for a long cook or an over night cook.

What ever level you fill your lump to, fill side to side somewhat level.

If you can't get to temperature or to a higher heat then check your air flow and use a wiggle rod to clear the air holes in the fire grate.

At times I soak wood chips, but when I do I build a foil pouch with some water inside the pouch along with the wood chips an some fork holes in the top of the pouch. Then the pouch goes on the lump after the egg is at temperature and stable. Wet chips or chunks are fine. Wood chunks and chips will flame up if/when the dome is open. Where there is smoke there is fire as long as there is enough heat and oxygen to allow the fuel to flame.

If I fill my large to the top of the fire box or even the top of the fire ring I will usually get 5 to 10 cooks out of that size load. Total cook time is well above 18 hours.

GG
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Daniel
    It doesn't hurt to load "more" lump than you think you will need for the cook. Following almost every cook, I'll have 3-5 inches of unburned lump left over. I lightly stir to get the ash to fall through grate and start the next fire with electric starter in a chimney. I load fresh lump around the chimney and 5-10 mins later it is glowing red and I dump it out. Usually around 400 in 20 minutes. When I finish the cook, drop the rain cover over the top and shut down the lower vent. Because my fire ring and fire box are cracked, I've not cleaned behind them (except with ash tool) for over 200 lbs of lump. Don't fight the Egg, don't over think it, just enjoy!
    Kent Madison MS
  • anyone that actually uses the egg (no offense to your dealer) usually just opens the bag and dumps it loose into a big pile, well up over the holes. you'll have plenty of airflow....

i fill the thing every time, even though i don't always use all the lump. shut her down, and the fire will snuff, and the unused lump can be used the next time. even so, top it off. you get consistent behavior keeping it consistently filled.

later, when you get some time in country, you can play around. fishless will add a minimal amount of lump and do his lo-and-slo cooks direct (no barrier). uses just enough lump to cook the food, and the fact that it is far lower in the bowl means the 'direct' heat isn't so direct after all. but that's another show...
  • whtfarmer
    Options
    Daniel,
    Never put anything wet on the fire until after it is going good. I like chunks better then chips because one or two are enough and the whole fire is not covered with wet wood. I don't sort my lump like some, but I do dump it into a box with hailscreen on the bottom and shake it gently, then dump it in the firebox. That way I eliminate the chance of very small pieces or dust plugging the air holes. Lastly put a lot more faith in what the kind folks here tell you then your dealer or the manufacturer. Keep trying. You will love the egg very soon. Rick
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Gator Bait wrote:
    A wiggle wire of some sort is very helpful for clearing air passages through the lump and clearing holes in the bottom grate or in the sides of the fire box should they get clogged with charcoal or ash.

I use a wiggle stick to clear the grate holes each time I Egg, and on long cooks (every few hours during the cook). Mine is just a long piece of very stiff (had to be bent in a vice with a hammer and block) wire with a 90 degree bend at one end, the bend-up piece is about an inch long. Stuck in through the lower draft door and wiggled into each hole in the grate to clear it. Works great!

However, if DH is reading this and would like to get me a fancy LR one, I wouldn't object :whistle:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    stir the ash out of the old lump, dump some new lump in, fill the firebox, for longer 14 hour cooks play it safe and fill half way into the ring. with these ceramic cookers soaking the chips or chunks is not needed or desired. your dealer should start cooking on an egg before giving advice :laugh: i use chips and pellets for some cooks, but you will have better luck with chunks and most low and slows i just add 2 or 3 chunks on top after lighting the egg and waiting for the lump smoke to disapear and thats it, get a good clean burning fire, toss the chunks in, and setup for your cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I haven't read the other answers yet, so forgive me if this is redundant.

1. Fill the firebox up level with the fire ring.

2. Use one or two piece of DRY wood chucks. Three is you like heavier smoke. Wood chips are fine, but they don't last as long. Wet chips or chunks are a waste of water. It's an old gasser trick to make them last longer.

Your definitive source for correct information on using your EGG is HERE.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pete,

Do you skin the wood chucks first or just throw them on with fur and all?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Depends on the condition of the fur..
  • Daniel
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for the replies! It seems like this is definitely more of an art than a science and I just need to tinker with it and find what works best for me. It definitely sounds like I was using too little fuel.

Thanks again!

Daniel. B)