Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max: Basting Question

SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! I have to have my turkey ready by about 11am - 12pm on T-Day. How the heck am a going to be able to baste 3 time an hour? Cooking an 18lb. turkey, am I going to have to get up at 4am to start it? :evil: :S

Comments

• you know, one year when my wife's great aunt was still alive (she lived to be 96), we had her to our house for thanksgive (in pre-egg days) ...and i had a 24 pound turkey that i had to have ready by 1:00pm in order to serve dinner at 2. ...when i backed every thing up to start prepping, i ended up getting up at something like 2:30 am to start prepping the bird, etc. ..

now, you can 'force' the bird by roasting it a slightly higher temps (say 375 - 400 degrees, with no real change in final results, but it will cook faster. .. and yes, you can baste less often, say once every 40 minutes with minimal negative results....just pay close attention to things and make sure it doesn't get away from you. .. .but yeah, you are still gonna have to get up at OH dark thirty to get started!! LOL....that or do it the day before like has been discussed in other threads today . . .
  • Sorry Max, I am on a very high about of pain killers (colitis) and don't really have the patience to search. :S

Can you help me out with the process time/temp to say start it at 7am for it to be complete by noon? Supposed to be a 16 - q8 lber. and I haven't seen it it. I am off work starting at noon on Wednesday Ind I have been volunteered to do the turkey for the family for the first time EVER! Obviously going to use use your method, just need the tips to get everything right with the first cook.

THANKS!

Chris "Lost in Turkey Land" Cutler
  • 18 pounds divided by a maximum of 15 minutes per pound would mean about 4.5 hours.. . .but at 350 degrees, they usually cook a bit faster (figure 1 hour for every 5 pounds)...so about 3.5 hours or so.... even if you are basting regularly.. . and its always better to have your turkey done early than late. . .it will sit just fine under foil and towels for an hour+. . ..so if you start it at 7am, it should be done by 11am ok....

but that means i'd be up at 5am getting the bird all prepped, getting stock pot ready, starting my fire by 6am so its well stabilized and all set to go by 7. ..
  • mad max beyond eggdome wrote:
    18 pounds divided by a maximum of 15 minutes per pound would mean about 4.5 hours.. . .but at 350 degrees, they usually cook a bit faster (figure 1 hour for every 5 pounds)...so about 3.5 hours or so.... even if you are basting regularly.. . and its always better to have your turkey done early than late. . .it will sit just fine under foil and towels for an hour+. . ..so if you start it at 7am, it should be done by 11am ok....

but that means i'd be up at 5am getting the bird all prepped, getting stock pot ready, starting my fire by 6am so its well stabilized and all set to go by 7. ..

Can any of this be done the day before?