Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Math/ meat geniuses - help me w the "danger zone"

AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I started two big pork butts at about 2 in the afternoon yesterday - I had them at a dome temp of about 275 -290 all day. I checked on it before going to bed and it seemed to be falling and was at about 250. Like an idiot, I thought oh well and tapped her open just a little more to bring up the temp then went to bed.
I rarely take internal temps on meat like that, cuz its just done when its done - so I don't know what temp the meat was, but it had been cooking at 275-290 for 8 hours or so before I did my last check.
anyhoo - so I get up this morning at 8 and the egg is out ( found out why, and it is no fault of the egg.....just a ditzy me).

So last time I checked was at about 11pm and it was 250. I got up at 8am and it was out, and the meat was partially frozen and the outside temp is 23 degrees.

what say all of you?

Comments