Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Been a Struggle....

Options
Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put my Butt on around 4:oo this afternoon. Completely cleaned the egg, sorted the lump, used the chimney as Elder Ward suggests. I have struggled all night keeping the temp up. It has stayed right around 200 to 225 degrees but I have the lower vent open wide and the daisy wheel open also. I calibrated the temp gauge before I started also. I've kept it no lower than 200 but just checked (3:00 A.M.) and lump is just about burned out. Had to add more lump. Where did I go wrong on this? Thought I had plenty of lump to start. Should the lump be up to the top of the fire ring? It's going again better now that I've added lump but there was almost nothing but ashes when I added. Any ideas where I've gone wrong? Again, I've left the vents almost open all the way and it never got above 225 degrees. Could my gauge be wrong? I checked the internal temp and it was about 150. I'm kind of worried about eating this now. Have I already blown this? No polder or Redi-Chek. Thanks!

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Tanya,
    Next time load the lump all the way to the top
    of the fire ring. When you keep opening vents
    and losing temp, you're running out of fuel.
    I also try to hold 250 to 260 degrees not 200.
    There are lots of folks who can hold those lower
    temps, but I can't seem to master that. Since
    you're internal temp is 150 or better, it should
    be fine.
    Chuck

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Tanya, You're fine, Like GaDawg said you want to raise the dome temp to 250 or so. Once the butt gets to an internal 175 you can bump the temp up to 275 to 300.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tanya,
    I went back and read Elder Ward's piece. It says to "fill to the top of the fire ring no further" - It also goes into some detail about how to light the lump and it does not include the use of a chimney. I don't know what you have for instructions but it doesn't sound anything like the original. If you send me you email address I'll send you the whole article - it's nearly 7 pages long. Let me know if you have Word or if I should send it as a text file. Sounds like you've had a long night but from the sound of it you'll have pulled pork! Everything here is a learning curve. Next time it'll be a lot more fun, easier and you'll still stay up all night! You done okay though kid!

• Brobear
    Options
    Tanya,[p]When I first got my egg, I had a problem with temperature becuase I had the grate upside down. The holes in the grate a conical, and if it is upside down, the holes will plug up and cause poor air flow. When I finally realized this, it made all the difference in the world.
  • Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks, ya'll make me feel better. It's 8:00 and the internal temp is 190. The dome temp has been holding good at 250 for the last two hours. Should I pull it now? By the way, the Elder Ward recipe is from the Cookbook I printed from Bill Wise, I think on the Naked Whiz website. It's a whole cookbook for BGE and I have it in a three ring binder. It does say to use the chimney and fist full of lump.

• Sundown
    Options
    Tanya,
    Someone's messing with a good thing on you here. Go to this link scroll down to Part III and read from there on how to start the fire. This is the original and the only one I follow. Hope it helps.

[ul][li]Elder Ward’s North Carolina Style Pulled Pork Document[/ul]
  • Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    Tanya,[p]I ran out of lump as well, when on summer cooks I've got tons left...must be the colder weather...[p]Enjoy the pork...

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Tanya, What time are you wanting to eat? That Butt will pull at 190 but unless you are in a hurry to eat, I'd let it cook til it hits 200 internal. [p]If by the time you are ready to eat and the internal temp is still below 200, open everything til the dome hits 300. It won't take long after that.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Sundown, you are right in that it does not talk and about the use of the chimney (and neither does my copy (which was edited and corrected by Elder Ward)). I think THe Naked Whiz has some material on the use of the chimney on his site though. However, it also does NOT say "fill to the top of the fire ring". It says "fill to the top of the firebox". I normally fill mine above the firebox and have some left over. On my medium I had to do that in order to have enough to last all night. I think Elder Ward is right in that on a large you can fill to the top of the fire ring and have sufficent for the night in any temperature. [p]As far as the chimney goes, you need only to put a handful of lump in the chimney but this burning lump is dropped on top of the fully loaded firebox.

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    Tanya,
    I don't have enough experience to identify your problem, but I do know it wasn't the weather. I did a picnic roast a few weeks back in 20 degree weather that cooked for over 20 hours. When I finished that I cooked some abt's. The next day when I looked in my egg I had enough lump left over for a few more hours of cooking. I used Royal Oak lump, which doesn't burn as long as some others according to what everyone says. What brand of lump did you use? Did you fill to the top of the fire ring?

• Sundown
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Over the last 5 years or so I've discovered that there at least 20 ways to do the simplest of things here. They're all the correct way - some work some don't thank goodness for the forum or we would all be cooking with gas or Kingsford!! I check in here at least once a day without fail. Learn something new from time to time too.
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Tanya,[p]I use a really dense lump called Wicked Good Charcoal. It burns forever - well at least it doesn't burn out on a 24 hr+ cook. As a matter of fact that's what's under my two-butt cook right now. One's a polynesian injection butt and the other's the "my butt smells good" Peruvian rub (cilantro, garlic, and anchovy). This is the first time for me to try injection.[p]Chuck
  • usa doug
    Options
    GaDawg,
    I believe you are 100% correct. I also believe one of her problems is air flow. The lump may have been stacked in the firebox too tight or she used real small pieces. When I am cooking at 300* dome temp, my intake and exaust are just barely open.