Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Att:Meat , the bell

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This bell was left to me in my Grandparents will. It has a special place in "The Nest" It was shot blasted and painted the same color as the chairs. It reads American Castings Co. Birmingham, Ala 1904. It has the number 4 on the top middle.
DSCN4492.jpg
DSCN4493.jpg
DSCN4169.jpg
DSCN4171.jpg

Meat's company restores old bells

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    What a wonderful thing to have. :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Great setup. That is a very nice bell and fits right in.

Mike
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    That is great about the family bell.Do you know what they used the bell for?

At a "Murphy" (my mothers maiden name) family reunion several years ago. The Murphy family bell was given to the Mayor of Bartow, GA for the towns museum. It seems the family had a farm outside of town in the 1800's and when indians would attack the Murphys would ring the bell to warn other towns peoples of attack and everyone was to get ready. We heard some pretty neat stories.

Glad you have the family heirloom safe in the nest...
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Cool addition. It's neat to have something like that from past generations.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    That is great about the family bell.Do you know what they used the bell for?

At a "Murphy" (my mothers maiden name) family reunion several years ago. The Murphy family bell was given to the Mayor of Bartow, GA for the towns museum. It seems the family had a farm outside of town in the 1800's and when indians would attack the Murphys would ring the bell to warn other towns peoples of attack and everyone was to get ready. We heard some pretty neat stories.

Glad you have the family heirloom safe in the nest...
    They lived on a large farm & it was actually used as a call for dinner or any thing else important I would think :)
    Don't you wished you had asked more questions or paid attention to details when you were younger :(
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    That is too cool!

Mike
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Susan,
    What a beautiful place to relax and enjoy life. The bell makes a great addition to reflect on your legacy.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Regards,
    RJ
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Very cool Susan, I have to go check out my moms bell. It is mounted on a post between our houses. it is an old family bell too.I have no idea the story behind it but I know that it moved from every house we lived in and we moved about every 3-4 years.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Let us know what you find out.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Yep Susan I wish I had paid more attention. There are some neat stories out there...

hey Julie maybe the family rang the bell when it was time to move...just kidding... :laugh: :P
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Susan,
    That is so cool to have something like that from your grandparents. I bet they're looking down and smiling. The "Nest" is absolutely breathtaking.
    I'd love to get the information on who made the chairs, they are beautiful. If you have a min. if you could send it I'd appreciate it.

"Meat" was really interesting to talk to. I can honestly say he's the only person I've ever met that repairs bells. I'm sure he'll enjoy this post.
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    Very cool Susan. The bell looks to be in great shape. You took the right steps to refurbish it. Your bell is cast iron. Other bells you see that are highly polished are made of 80% copper and 20% tin. If you need any help with it, let me know.

The Nest looks like an awesome place to hang out!
  • Mrs.Meat
    Options
    So nice to see you both again!Your nest looks like one of my dreams! GORGEOUS!!! Maryanna
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That is REALLY cool! B)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    MeatEater wrote:
    So nice to see you both again!Your nest looks like one of my dreams! GORGEOUS!!! Maryanna
    Wow, your first post I am honored. Great seeing you and Meat also. Those meatballs you all made were great!
  • Texas Eggie
    Options
    Your place is too cool. Thanks for sharing,
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    The family heirloom bell is a wonderful addition to your egg oasis. I rather doubt you'll need to ring it often, as I imagine everyone will be gathered near the eggs on that awesome porch.
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    what a wonderful set up!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Ver-a, ver-a Niiice!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I love the color and condition of the bell. Just a wonderfull piece of history. Is the clapper solid or hollow. Just courious as mine is hollow. It was given to my Granddad who lived next to a small cotton plantation. It was used to call the workers in for dinner and supper every evening. When my Grandparents moved to town they brought it with them and Granddad weilded it up like this. When my Grandmother died I dug it up and moved it my place. Now it calls the cows up to feed! When I ring it they come at a full run for a few buckets of grain! :laugh:
    RAIN012-2.jpg
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Too cool JL...on my uncle's farm when he drives up and honks the horn the cows come running up to eat..if anyone else honks their horn...the cows don't do a thing...too funny
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Nice pic JL ! My clapper is solid.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WOW,
    Nice bell and I love your Nest. What a great set up and chairs are wild. Way to go. :)

Regards,
    Bordello
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW! Reminds me of my grandparents up on the Mississippi, when a meal was ready and Grandpa was nowhere to be found, Grandma rang the bell!

Thanks for posting.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap