Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice/Help Please

Options
Big George's BBQ
Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large BGE which I am embarrassed to say has not been used for a few weeks. I cleaned it out the other night to get ready to move. When I lifted the lid there was little droplets all over the grate- about the size of a **** willow. We have had a lot of rain. The Egg is covered with a vented cover for an Egg and a compact table. Am I looking at a potential mold question. I do keep the ceramic lid on the Egg when not in use and try to keep it covered too. Thanks

Comments

• Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Interesting ... I haven't had that problem ... but when I am heading out of town and know I won't be using the egg for a week or more, I do really hot burn before I shut it down ... take the food off .. crank it to 500 Deg + for several minutes to cook everything out ... then close up and cover. Haven't had any problems but it is possible that there is no point in doing this and I just haven't had it sit for several weeks.

Solution: Use it weekly!

Joel
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Yes, you should put the ceramic lid on when not in use. Some people refer to this as the rain cap.

Additionally if you have a bit of a mold on the inside of the Egg, you should get a nice hot fire started. It should burn it off.

Greg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    George....It is from food that remained on the grid. Not a big deal....just a good hot burn will cook it off. Good habbit to get into is trying to scrape any remaining foods/sauces off at the completion of the cook while the egg is still hot..... And as somebody else posted, if you are going to leave the Egg for any length of time, a good habbit is a good hot burn before closing it up.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Thanks everyone