Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking at buying a used egg...need help

Options
trlowder
trlowder Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,
I've enjoyed this sight after just discovering last night. I'm looking at buying a used egg from a guy who moved and has a built in grill. (not sure if this is a great reason to sell the egg). I've arranged to pick up the Large egg tomorrow night.
Can you guys prepare me for things to look for to make sure the egg is good working order? The obvious is cracks, but what other defects or problems have some of you had that may help me assess the condition.
Thanks a bunch....and I look forward to becoming an official egghead.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    when you look for cracks, make sure to look under the base, they can be incredibly fine when the egg is cold, usually they will start in a corner of the lower vent and disapear beneath the dome. doesnt happen too often but its good to check for. you will want to see a pic of an older clay model to make sure your buying a newer ceramic one, the clay ones are not designed for high heat use.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Where you located? Perhaps there is a guest BGE inspector in the area.
    Firebox and fire rings do get cracks, but no big deal. gastek fried is a potential problem, mine has been so for 5 years on my large, but I don't do cooks past 5-6 hours for ribs.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    heres a pic of a clay egg, the ceramic has a shiny glaze and softer smooth dimples
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=758742&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• trlowder
    Options
    Thanks Fishlessman. Is it easier to identify cracks from the outside or inside? If anyone can post a photo of the old Clay Model that would be great.
  • trlowder
    Options
    Thanks Richard. I'm located in Chapin, SC (north of Columbia, SC) I will be traveling to Aiken, SC to pick up the egg. Can you explain "gastek fried"?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im one of the lucky few that had a base crack, if you remove the insides and clean out all the ash, it looked like a fine pencil line headind from the center out in three directinons, when hot the crack wouln open up. you egg will have no warrantee so price accordingly. you will need to buy the firebox to replace it, not sure if its warranteed on the firebos after that, might be a good idea to talk with bge before makeing an offer. ive been cooking on a cracked firebox thats in 9 or so pieces for several years now without problems and it still pieces back together, if it doesnt it will need replacing
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    gaskets or both on the top and bottom of the edges of the dome and base. Sometimes they get burnt when doing high temp cooks or pizzas 'cause the plate setter is at the edge level. If the gasket in badly burnt, it should be replaced if you are going to do many lo and slo, pork butts 20 hours example. The gaskets keep the integrity of the heat retention.
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    I just sold my large BGE and table and a replacement will be here this week. Look for cracks in the firebox and ring. If cracked, not a major problem. My on has used a BGE large with a cracked firebox for 2 years. We just wired together for support. Gave it a cleaning the other day and it is still hold strong. He never moves his, so that is also a plus.

Check to be sure the lid is properly aligned and no major gaps. Asked who assembled the egg and make sure the spring and ring is properly installed. Often times DIY assemblers install the spring upside down!!! It will fit that way, but alignment will be poor. (FLAT BAR ON SPRING ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE AT THE TOP)

Good luck, finding a good used Egg is a great find.
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    I just sold my large BGE and table and a replacement will be here this week. Look for cracks in the firebox and ring. If cracked, not a major problem. My on has used a BGE large with a cracked firebox for 2 years. We just wired together for support. Gave it a cleaning the other day and it is still hold strong. He never moves his, so that is also a plus.

Check to be sure the lid is properly aligned and no major gaps. Asked who assembled the egg and make sure the spring and ring is properly installed. Often times DIY assemblers install the spring upside down!!! It will fit that way, but alignment will be poor. (FLAT BAR ON SPRING ASSEMBLY SHOULD BE AT THE TOP)

Good luck, finding a good used Egg is a great find.
  • trlowder
    Options
    Thanks Laker. Why am I having second thoughts about this. I can get the Large, with nest, and two wooden shelves for $575. It is about 15 months old. On the surface, this seems to be a good deal. I guess I take the chance and inspect it as close as possible.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Depending on where you are located you could pick up a demo for not much more and have a lifetime warranty. $575. may not be bad but it's not great either. It is a little higher than I would want to pay for a used Egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    By way of comparison, I live in Connecticut, the home of the high cost of living. I paid $820 for my large. That price included nest, plate setter, ash tool, pizza stone, cast iron grid, starter cubes, 2 bags of lump, a grid brush and large bag of hickory chunks. Some folks seemed to think that was a bit high, others said I got a good deal. Whatever. If I paid too much, I don't think I paid MUCH too much. And I have a lifetime warranty.

Here is Bubba Tim's page on pricing for used eggs. Hope some of this helps.

http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• trlowder
    Options
    Thanks Michael.....I'm going to the local shop tomorrow before making the hour drive to Aiken. I'm going to see if I can get close to the same deal you just described.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lots of folks around here talk about buying demo eggs at egg fests. I don't know much about that, what the prices are, when the next one will be held where you could take advantage of the deal, or anything really. Just that it happens and the prices are better. Maybe someone else could chime in here.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Eggs are awesome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Its probably just fine. Go for it.
  • astair
    Options
    RB, noted you were in Georgia. I'm taking the plunge and buying a BGE for my fiance. He's gonna Die! :)
    Wondering if you feel the best deal I can get would be the BGE store in Tucker?
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    astair
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Is there a BGE dealer in Columbia, SC?