Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scored some used soapstone

Options
3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today at the junkyard I scored a 8' slab of black soapstone that used to be a chemistry lab worksurface. I'm planning on cutting it into a top for my Egg table for the back porch (carbide bits/blades can cut soapstone). Apparently it is highly temperature resistant, as well as being well suited to outdoors with the temp and humidity swings. I'll post (probably next spring) when I have it turned into the table.

IMG_0979.jpg

Comments

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Weird, in preview the image show correctly?
  • SoonerChris
    Options
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Good score, should make a fine table top
    RJ
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Thanks! Now, what did I do wrong (image posting)?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    3Pedals6Speeds,

Looks great! Are you going to use the sinks too. We looked at putting some soapstone on our kitchen island. It is a really nice finish. You have to oil it sometimes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    soap stone makes a great pizza/gridle stone, wonder if the chemicals get into the stone for food usage.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I haven't decided which end I'm going to cut off yet. It'll be outdoors (Michigan) so if I do plumb the sinks, it'll have to be something that I can disconnect in the winter. I've got 1/2 a mind to just run garden hose under the deck to a fitting that I then run copper up to the sink with if I do it, that way I can disconnect it during the freeze season, and not have all that copper transmitting cold back to the connection coming through the foundation wall.

Up top I'd mount a faucet (actually came with a couple of the old high neck chemistry lab faucets) so from above the table you'd never know it wasn't permanent. then I have to figure out where to send the waste water.......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    been in and out of the granite counter place a few times for the bathroom redo, their main display is a granite counter in a soapstone looking finish with the old fashioned stone built sink built in. really nice looking stuff.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hutchybones
    Options
    Brilliant!!!! I wanted soapstone for our whole kitchen but couldn't sell my wife on the idea. It should be perfect for your plan. The surface can easily be sanded as often as you want to "renew the look" and mineral oil helps, especially outdoors. No problem setting food or containers on it, but I would definately not recommend cooking on it (i.e. as a baking stone). It is very porous and who knows what has been spilled on it and soaked deeply into it in the ol' chemistry lab!?!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    3Pedals6Speeds,

If you could find one of these it would sit right on top.

steve009-1.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

steve007-1.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I did pick up a few cabinets (3 ft and 4ft)that had been under the counter (in the lab) but they are painted steel, and I don't think they'd hold up to the weather over time very well. I'm starting to wonder if I don't just want to build something permanent rather than rolling like I'd thought up until today. I'm worried that a 200# top will be a little unwieldy.