Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt crusted prime rib roast - my bad

SteveinTN
SteveinTN Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
to start it was fun

IMG_0476.jpg

fresh horseradish from the garden. fresh horseradish will set you free!
IMG_0478.jpg

covered
IMG_0480.jpg

on the egg
IMG_0482.jpg

then it went down hill......
-put it on the egg indirect @ 325
-had the remote temp gauge in to alarm at 115 to pull at 122
-long story short the guage hung at 110 when i finally checked it with my thermopen and it was at 140.

so my great prime rib became overcooked roast beef.

I will try again.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Better luck next time. I love the learning part of this. You will get it!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Sorry about the meat, but great looking setup and view.

Rich
  • Thanks
    might give it another shot on Sunday. A new remote probe is in my future this week. Maybe 2 to have a back up.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Backups are good.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Steve....DANG!!!!!!! :( :blink: Sorry to hear about the thermometer snafu!! That is the TOTAL pits!! :pinch: It is truly tough when goofs are rather costly.... :blink: :S I had the same thing happen to me with the Guru....didn't have the dang connection in all the way....but the time I figured that one out, I had some REALLLLY dead duck! :blush: You'll get it next time!! :) Thank goodness for practice runs.... ;):whistle:
  • Well ... the optimist in me says you knew something was wrong before you saw smoke ... so the instincts were there!!! 140 deg is better than 190 deg ... can't wait to see the post of how it was supposed to be!

Joel
  • it might be an expensive tutorial. but i will learn this salt crusted rib roast. it is just a neat concept. Knowing it would not be good it was still neat to crack open the salt crust. It was almost like opening a package.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    That blows! :(
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Steve....there will be much better cooking days, actually far more than bad ones & even those are nothing if you consider the quality time spent with family & friends, i take it that lovely smiling lady is your wife no words can describe those moments. All the best!!!!!!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I would be frustrated after all the prep but I guess there are lessons to learn from something like this. Next time will be the charm.

Gary
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Steve, we all do these experiments in the name of science. Do you think Mr. Bell invented the telephone on his first try? At least you cooked the cow, it could have been one of the posts where the fire went out, and is it safe to eat now? Nice pics.

Uglydog
  • I think we're all missing the important point here. Did the salt crust save the meat when it got to 140 at least a little? Consider your sacrifice a learning experience for those who like their roasts overcooked. Maybe just maybe salt coated is the only way to successfully cook a rib roast to 140.

All that said, sorry that it didn't turn out the way you wanted.

Doug
  • either diamond or morton have the recipe for salt-crusted fish on the back of their boxes. dunno which. part of the way it cooks is through steaming in its own steam. one of the claims is usually that it helps keep the meat moister (because of the stem and salt 'tomb'). not really an issue as long as it isn't overcooked, but in this case you make a good point. i wonder if the crust kept the meat moister.

i know that when meat is overcooked on the egg anyway, it is usually much moister than it would be in a conventional oven cooked to the same temp.

the salt creates a veritable oven of sorts. one of the things it is supposed to do is provide a really stable environment for the roast. constant consistent heat. salt is a mineral, and holds the heat very well.

i don't know if you need to pull the roast at a lower temp to allow for more carryover. never done a rib roast.

not too pooh-pooh, just am not sure the benefit of doing it on the egg, since you basically seal the meat off from the hint of smoke you might get. but it certainly makes for a great presentation. i imagine if you layered the salt over herbs, the heat and steam might sorta give you an herb infusion or sorts.

i'm normally the type to try something lie that, but for a rib roast i prefer a nice crust (of the fat and seasonings) and a hint of rustic smoke. for fish i think it'd be great. again, though, i don't think it would make a difference whether it were in the egg or oven.

as for overcooking... well, i overcooked a rib roast WITHOUT a salt crust, so don't take any advice from me. hahaha
  • We've all been there.Remember it's not the destination ..it's the journey.
    Next time will be better.
    Jon
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Keep trying, don't give up!

I've been doing the reverse sear with my prime rib cooks lately, and love it!

Bring up to temp slow (275 deg egg) we like 'em rare, so I pull at 110 deg, foil it and set aside - open her up to reach 650-700 deg, then sear for 1 min on a side (turning 30-45 degree angle at 30 seconds for grill marks) then let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Beautiful rare yumminess, with the end pieces being medium-rare for those so inclined. For those who want it medium or more cooked, I send to the local McDonalds ;)
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    This just re-enforces my question I was about to post!! I just ordered a Maverick ET73, and was looking at the Digiq2's. I thought having both would be redundant, but the backup idea is just extra insurance!! Buy the way, did you eat the meat like that, or transform it into something else? I myself have transformed goof-ups into wonderful other dishes.
  • thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I do believe the salt crust kept it more moist than you would expect for being overcooked. of course, a neighbor had just made a big point of saying how good everything we cook is off the egg. so part embarrassment and part disappointment ends up as more bourbon and wine - o well.

i will for sure do this again. My remote thermometer is dead. do you think i am making a mistake with the two below from Target. I paid a small fortune for one from Williams sonoma several years ago. the two below were 15 and 30 bucks. If i do a large one for thanksgiving i will use two probes.

a6a3f021.jpg
  • Nils,

I've been doing them at 250 til 115* and not doing the end sear. They still have a nice crust. They do not bleed but they are pretty red.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Steve...You didn't make a mistake. My go to probe thermo cost about $12 at Wally World by Pyrex. My biggest caution for you on the "gourmet remote" thermo is that all the built in temps are based on the USDA charts...turkey done at 185*....pork done at 165*....etc. You will have to over ride it. Just set everything for beef or fish, and put in your desired target temp. Wishing you the best! ;)
  • A large number of people on here, me included, have had great success with the Maverick E-73 wireless remote.
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    I'm glad I ordered one