Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pancakes

uglydog
uglydog Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about cooking pancakes on the large Egg, cooking them directly on the platesetter or pizza stone. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this? I'm afraid the ceramic would soak up too much of the batter, and then I'd have to do a nuclear cleaning job. I could use a cast iron skillet, direct, but that sounds too easy.
Thanks,
Uglydog

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Certainly have never tried this, but it sounds like the perfect plan for a T-Totally T-rashed plate setter or pizza stone. Cast iron is challenge enough on the Egg IMHO....but more power too ya! :blink: ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Skillet would be to easy.....
    You are trying to make it more difficult than it should be?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Don't use your stones...skillet or even cough up for a griddle for the egg...you'll use it every week for something if you like to make breakfast on weekends.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Go to IHOP. Don't trash your ceramics. :blink:
  • Geaux with CI direct. Don't do pancakes on a rock.

These were on the mini
    IMG_3852800x600.jpg

Medium Pancakes
    IMG_3856800x600.jpg

Large Pancakes
    IMG_3858800x600.jpg

Mini Pancakes
    IMG_3861800x600.jpg

Plate of Pancakes from the mini
    IMG_3870800x600.jpg

Then some eggs
    IMG_3864800x600.jpg

Little coffee and breakfast alfresco - or you could have it outside :laugh:
    IMG_3878800x600.jpg
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Damn fine lookin cook there Frank. :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I MUST concur!!! :woohoo: :whistle: YUMMEE! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't get it. Why would you bother to crank up the egg for pancakes? Seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth. Do they really taste any different than those done on a griddle on the stovetop?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The egg makes the best pancakes. I use a cast iron pan on top of the platesetter, and close the hood. The air circulates and cooks the top evenly with the bottom. You only need to flip them to brown the other side. Fluffiest pancakes I have ever made.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    There's no reason Mike, other than possibly the "I did it on the grill" factor, or maybe on a camping trip or during a power outage.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, we seem to have conflicting opinions. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Frank, what IS that thing they're cooking on? It looks like CI, no handle, rimmed. What did it start out to be and what did you do to it?

Judy
    San Diego :S
    Judy in San Diego
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've read most of the responses, and I'll be the one guy it seems to tell you it's fine to cook directly on the stone - it should work. Just make sure your stone is clean or the cakes will pick up a lot of the nasty goop on there.

I've never done pancakes, but I have done cookies, biscuits, and other wet doughs directly on the stone and they come out fine.
  • BGE makes a half round griddle for the Large and XL Eggs. We got one for ourselves and have used it several times. Makes great pancakes. We grill sausage links direct on the half that isn't occupied by the griddle. Yum Yum. Can't think of a better way to eat b-fast on Saturday.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Fidel, I was convinced by the other post to do the pancakes on a CI skillet; now you have me thinking I need to try them on the stone. We'll see how my time, the weather, and motivation run tomorrow morning. If the weather is good, I may have to do some bonding with my geezer glide instead of the egg. Will let you know the results of the cook, possibly with pix. I always start out documenting my cooks, then when the cook is done the need to consume outweighs the need to photograph. Thanks to all for the replies.

Uglydog
  • in a CI pan or on a griddle i usually wipe the pan with a bit of butter. once or twice throughout the whole batch. not anything more than a film, really

although i don't think the batter being in contact with the platesetter would be an issue (it won't soak in), i do think it means you shouldn't use butter (or anything else) on the ceramic.

so you will be doing them on the dry platesetter. if you go at the right temp and don't try to flip before you should, it might work.

no reason not to try it. you can't ruin anything but the pancakes, right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive done french toast so why not. check out the monti cristo, french toast stuffed with ham and cheese
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=508293
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it