Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dr bbq's real deal cooking class

Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want an honest answer from all you eggheads out there. I want to attend the cooking class in St. Louis but I'm thinking I will be in way over my head. I got my first egg Christmas 2002 and I just bought another this month(a med. then a large). I had never had much interest in a lot of outdoor cooking until I started using the BGE. I don't want to compete or anything like that, just want to eat good food, better than the stuff I can get in a restaurant. I've been doing the easier stuff that is forgiving, like low and slow pork, and I get compliments that it is better than others who have been doing it for years. I contribute that to the BGE! Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is, should a beginner attend a class designed for teaching BBQing at such a high level? What do y'all think?
Ryan[p]

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    chainsmoker,[p]I say go for it. drbbq himself may chime in with a different opinion, of course. I'm hoping to take this class this year, as well. I've BBQ'd a bunch over the last 5 years, but time and lazieness constraints have really limited me to really simple stuff the last couple of years. Also, I'm now in a location which further limits the amount of BBQ'ing I can do for at least the next several months. So, I'll (hopefully) be going in as an out of practice BBQ'er with less experience than everyone else.[p]I say go for it, though. I almost always think it's better to set reach objectives for oneself rather than taking more cautious paths, so what the heck?[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    chainsmoker,
    I have got to know Ray over these past six months. He will give excellent intructions and helps to become a great BGE cook.[p]Cheers
    MR H
    Howard

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    chainsmoker,
    "The Real Deal" is an incredibly appropriate name. Ray will tell you how it is. [p]No doubt even a beginner will learn a lot. Nice thing about a personal class like that is if you need clarification all you gotta do is ask. Nothing like the experience of a hands-on class with an expert guiding the way.[p]Enjoy it.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    chainsmoker, go for it. You're already competing. - with yourself!! You've already passed the first criteria which says that you want your cooks to be even better than the last one. You'll learn a lot, meet a great guy, have a great time and will feel even better about your cooking.

• chainsmoker,
    I believe you would be an excellent candidate for the dr's cooking class. You probably haven't developed a bunch of bad habits yet, so you should be able to pick up his methods and secrets without a bunch of other stuff being in your head. His class will definitly cut down the bbq learning curve a couple of years even if you don't plan to cook competition bbq.
    You could save the price of the class in ruined meat cost.[p]
    usa doug

• chainsmoker,
    I've been cooking for a while, competing and doing ok, 3 state championships and have been on stage at the Royal, Jack and MIM. I took Doc's class last July and pick up plenty of information. He goes over how he decides what meat to buy and prep. He's techniques are going to able to be used by any cook competing or not.
    The recipes are sweet but that does score well and lots of your friends will love it. I didn't cook competitions with the same recipes as I do for myself at home anyway (not as sweet).
    Don't let the recipes stand in the way of great techniques and spending a couple of days with Doc is always a goodtime.
    It is well worth the dollars spent, it would take years of trail and error to get the same place Doc takes you in a matter of hours.
    Jim
    PS: If you have been following a long here for sometime you have the basics covered. Doc isn't going to be talking over anyone head.

• chainsmoker,
    I live in St. Louis--if the Doctor is comming here to teach, sign me up!!! Where and when-I need to get this done??
    Thanks

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    ljaycox,[p]I thought you guys would never ask.

[/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,
    If I can get off work, I will be there!
    Ryan

• drbbq
    chainsmoker,[p]Well this is definitely not a yuppie food egg cooking class. It's a hardcore all night real true blue BBQ cooking class. It focuses very much on competition cooking but I don't think you would mind that, the question I might have is regarding the limited amount of things we will be cooking. We will spend 24 hours learning to cook ribs, chicken, pork and brisket. That's not exactly backyard cooking. We do have a great time though.[p]Give me a call if you'd like to talk about it. I'm always available at 863-221-1855.
    Eggers are now allowed to call me. Just not too often.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • ajw1976
    ajw1976 Posts: 21
    drbbq,
    Will you ever be teaching a class in the Dallas/Ft Worth area?

• drbbq
    ajw1976,[p]I hope to one of these days but it doesn't look like it will happen this year.[p]
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    drbbq,[p]Sounds like a blast to me. I'll bring the green label Jack.