Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMALL Venison Roasts?

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a recipe for small venison roasts. I have three and wanted to use at least two of them; they're each about 1½ lbs. - a sirloin tip, a bottom round, and a top round. I didn't see anything in the recipes section; the only one there calls for a much larger piece of venison and I figured it would be treated differently from two or three smaller ones. I'm trying to clean out the freezer to make room for this season's deer.

Ideas?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm not crazy about the smaller roasts. I usually cut the rounds into steaks or have them cubed. The rounds have a bad habit of drying out really quickly, before they are anywhere near done.

Personally, I'd cube up all three and make a big pot of deer stew.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I agree with you Rod.
    Larry
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    You could cut them into steaks, coat with olive oil and a pepper rub, and grill them hot and fast to med-rare or rare.
    To serve them as a roast, brown them and cook them long and slow in a dutch oven with red wine, onions, garlic, and any other seasonings you like. Some like adding onion soup mix. Serve with mashed potatoes or whatever you like. You could add potatoes and carrots toward the end of cooking also.
    (good luck hunting

Phil
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Normally I would cut them up into steaks, too, but I was thinking that roasts would be easier. Okay, then, how do you cook deer steaks on the egg and how thick would you cut them?

Phil, my husband got a small doe on Election night; we were able to hang her until Saturday, when it turned warmer, and then we deboned her and packaged her and she's spending the rest of the aging period in our refrigerator per your method. How long do you leave them, again?

I told a friend about your method and he's wondering why he couldn't do the same thing with a couple of lambs he has to butcher. He doesn't have a cold locker either.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I don't have any photos of venison steaks handy, but here is a shot of a moose inside round steak. It is lean and cooks a lot like deer.

Slice it about 1/2-3/4" thick, sear it hot and fast and pull it no higher than 130*.

MooseSliced.jpg
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Thanks, Rod!

I think for steaks that the sirloin tip and the top round may be better candidates than the bottom round; does that sound reasonable?
  • PJ
    PJ Posts: 8
    Options
    Here's a recipe I've cooked on the egg in a Dutch Oven with good success. (Sorry - no pics) The recipe was found in 'Savoring the Wild', a special publication by Montana Outdoors. The recipe was created by Charles Raymond of the Georgia Game and Fish. One can modify the amounts used based on the size of the roast. I've cooked many roasts in the 1 1/2 to 2 lb. range. Normally, I've used bacon and apple juice - cooking it indirect in the egg in a uncovered dutch oven(just watch the level of the liquid).

VENISON POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES

3-4 pound venison roast
    1/4 c salt pork, cubed, or mild bacon
    2 T butter
    6 carrots
    6 onions
    6 potatoes
    1 t parsley flakes or 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    1/4 t thyme
    1 c tart fruit juice or cider
    1 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    1-1/2 c hot water
    3 T butter or drippings

Lard the roast by inserting cubes of salt pork into small cuts in it. Heat butter in a Dutch oven or deep casserole and brown the meat on all sides. Add hot water, fruit juice, celery, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently for 3 hour on top of the stove or in the oven at 350 degrees, until meat is tender. If liquid gets too low, add water. About one hour before meal is to be served, add peeled potatoes, carrots, and onions. Add a little additional salt for vegetables. When vegetables are tender, remove them and the meat to a warmed platter. Thicken liquid with 2-3 T flour added to the drippings (or additional butter).

PJ
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    River Rat.
    Regarding curing time for venison:

I package the meat (vac seal or sealed bags) and cover it with ice cubes on all sides in a picnic cooler with the drain plug open so no water accumulates. I do this for 8 days, replenishing the ice daily making sure the meat is always in contact with cubes.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Chili, Venison, JLockhart29

Been on a dutch oven kick of late. Cooler weather and easy clean up. Working 4:00-16:00 this weekend so not much spair time. Got home and the wife had made a big pot of chilie.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb deer hamburger rolls
    1 lb ground chuck
    1 Can Rotel
    1 Can Diced tomatoe with onion and garlic
    4 Cloves fresh garlic
    chilie powder to taste
    1 Can Rinsed ranch style beens w/onions

Procedure:
    1 I added grated cheese and chopped jalopeños on top.
    2 Browned meat and added ingrediants to dutch oven.
    3 Uncovered on platesetter with smoke stones under oven for 45 min. at 350-375 with lots of persimmon wood then covered for 30 min.
    4 The peppers were the final touch!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, JLockhart, 2008/09/27
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    PJ, that looks very good. I'll try it.

Phil, we have an empty refrigerator downstairs, so we're just using that. It's less messy than adding ice, and I don't think it would be significantly warmer.