Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked salmon - it's been a while - please help me remember

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't remember the last time I cooked salmon, but it was on sale today at our local HEB and, since Prime NY strips are still $17/lb, looks like fish is back on the menu![p]I bought a whole filet, skin on one side. I'm thinking about doing it indirect around 300 until done - maybe throw some alder wood on, and season with Raging River and lemon juice. The thing I can never remember is how long to cook these filets . . . and how to tell when they are done. [p]Can anyone out there help me out? If I'm going indirect, what kind of cooking time am I looking at for a medium rare - medium doneness?[p]Thanks![p]TRex

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    TRex,
    This is highly recommended and I'm doing it again today.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze—Gretl [/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Thanks! I knew there was a recipe like this out there but I couldn't remember. An hour and a half - sounds like a long time - is that how long you usually do yours? What is the level of doneness after an hour and a half?[p]Thanks for the quick reply by the way.[p]TRex
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    TRex,
    I like my salmon on the dry side so I will cook it indirect over a plate setter for a couple of hours.[p]I had to rush the last one as my company and I got in late, did it for about an hour at 375° to 400° and it was great.
    The lady who does not like anything sweet could not get enough of it. Made me feel like a king as the chef. LOL[p]Now, here is a cut and paste from the recipe: do your best.[p]New Bob[p]
    For the EggFest 2000, I let the salmon roast for about an hour and a half in the 350 degree range. But as my note at the top says, you can choose either higher or lower heat as well, with or without alder chips, with very tasty results. Add more glaze during the roasting if you want, and don't let the water boil away in the drip pan.[p]