Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Type II Diabetes Question

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and is quickly realizing that his diet is no longer "eat anything and everything on the menu."

At this point his condition is being controlled with medication and diet. He said the medication is easy enough but the 'diet' is a problem.

He's an Egghead.

We had a conversation about what Egged recipes would be suitable for his diet, and for that matter, what Egged recipes should be avoided.

I didn't know how to answer him.

Except for my good looks and charming personality, I too could be faced with the same problem and I suddenly realized I don't know squawk about the subject.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Spring "I Don't Know How Much I Don't Know" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• I dropped 50 lbs. No sugar. Little bread or pasta. Still to many drinks. :( Dropped a lot on the meter.
    BTW, who is cooking my bacon wrapped watermelon rinds this weekend?

Mike
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    This may not be the type help you're looking for, and I will gladly follow up with my friend to ask for specifics, but I have a close friend who is a diabetic educator. Her role at the hospital is to work with newly diagnosed diabetics to help and counsel them on how to mesh their lifestyle with doing what is needed. In most cases the time she spends with patients is covered by the payors because it is seen as preventing a bad, more expensive outcome.

Your friend may seek out that kind of help so that a professional who understands his unique circumstances can advise him on the do's and don'ts....and I will ask Edna for some too!
  • Sounds like you are on the right track Mike.

We'll bring the watermelon rinds and you can cook 'em.

Spring "Water On The Rind" Chicken
  • Sounds like a great program. Hopefully, something like that will be available for him.

Thanks.

Spring "Knowing Is Growing" Chicken
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Leroy,

It is rather simple. All things in moderation. Look for food items that are low to moderate glycemic. There are quite a few sites that talk about Glycemic index of foods
  • Thanks Pete. I'll tell him.

Spring "The Messenger Is In" Chicken
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    been there - done that - 6 years ago. At the time I was 30 pounds over weight, got little exercise outside of mowing the grass with a push mower, and a key thing believe it or not...for 37 years I never ate ANYTHING good for breakfast 6 days a week! I had THE FEAR put in me by my MD, who happens to be an egger himself after I introduced him to eggdom. I learned moderation in food consumption and walking 2 miles a day - that's 2 miles a day 7 days a week! There is little if anything I avoid off the egg! Another thing is except for a once in every 2 or 3 months I never eat any fast food! That stuff is crap! The real thing though goes back to breakfast - I start every morning - except Sunday's with the same thing - 1 cup of 1% milk, 1/2 cup of Cheerios, 2 tablespoons of blue berries and 1 slice of whole wheat toast. At first it was a chore to take the time to eat that simple breakfast - in less than 2 months time I woke up WANTING that. Today, 6 years later I LOVE IT!!! It's a healthy routine - simple breakfast and 2 mile brisk walk. Type 2 is not a death sentence, but a wake up call!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken, be sure and recommend that in addition to the dietary measures that your friend excerises regularly! :)
  •  
    Hi Leroy,

Congratulations to your friend with type 2. He was diagnosed before it killed him! Type 2 is just as dangerous as Type 1, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They both kill.
    If your friends condition is not sever, medications, diet and exercise will do wonders. Carbohydrates are the big concern. Blood sugars are not affected by protein. Beef, chicken, lamb, pork any kind of meat is OK up to a point. Cholesterol is the thing to watch with meats. They may not effect your blood sugars but they will still clog the arteries. Elevated blood sugars also make your blood sticky and will speed up the clogging process if he is not careful.
    Most veggies are safe. There are some that have to be watched. Peas and sweet corn can have plenty of sugar that may effect the blood sugars but the main concern are the veggies that are high in starch. Rice and potatoes are biggies, God how I miss them! In any way, shape or form will raise your blood sugars. In with starches are all your pasta's. The body converts starches to carbs, in the process they use a few calories but not enough. Fruits are high in sugar, no surprise there.
    Not all diabetics are effected the same by the same foods. He will have to experiment and watch and see what does what to his blood sugars.
    He doesn't necessarily have to give up anything! If he exercises (uses up the sugar in his blood), takes his meds with out fail and on time, learns to watch his diet and eats in moderation he can live a very long and very normal life.
    He is lucky, I wasn't diagnosed till I had 3 major heart attacks in one week(1995). I had just turned 45 and was way to young for heart attacks, LOL. The heart attacks are a cinch, if you survive you have it made. Diabetes is a **** and is with you 24/7 and if not treated can adversely effect every aspect of your health. The better care you take of diabetes NOW means the less consequences you will have to pay later, it's that simple. Any questions about diabetes are always welcome.

Have a great day,

Gator
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    My wife was diagnosed a couple of years back. We went to the classes at the local hospital together and found it very helpful. As a general guideline think Atkins diet. In other words low carb. Also if your friend is a drinker, be aware it can cause crashes. Lots of food guides out there that help with counting carbs including one for chain resturants.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    RRP, and others --

Yes! You are right! Type II is a wake-up call!

Leave the sugary junk alone, exercise moderately-but-realistically, and eat to satisfied... not to pigging out.

And love the Egg!

~ B
  • Leroy,
    Major info available from the Amer Diabetes Assoc.com Is your friend an insulin dependant type II ? I am a card carrying member of the club now for 15 yrs. Recommend that he seek out the local Endocrinology clinic and start seeing them. They will teach a lifestyle change that is compatible. This disease affects everyone differently as well as the food they eat, what spikes one person will have a different affect on someone else. I EGG several times a week and on occasion post a pic or two. What has been said previously, everything in moderation. Type 2 is manageable. New developments are being introduced on a daily basis.
  • Thanks guys. This is the kind of information I had hoped to get. I passed the link to this post to him. I'm sure he will appreciate your input.

Spring "What I Don't Know Can Hurt Me" Chicken
  • I'm type II and went off the wagon for 3 years. Only person it hurt was me. I have been type II for about 8 years now. Tell your friend to go to an Endocronoligast (sure wish I could spell this morning) They will teach him EVERY thing he needs to know. They told me in moderation AND to go by total carbs. Carbs will include sugars. At one point in time, they said sugar was bad. Not so. Again in moderation. I have found that if I stay within 150 grams of carbs, my levels are right where they should be. But it's different for everyone. They will have to find the average that's right for them.
    I bought a book that shows ALL fastfood and everything else's carbs. Makes life real easy, that is if I stick to it.
    Now I'm on both pills and shots and that's only because of the 3 year know it all. Also from that, I have nueropthy and 1st stage retinopthy. That's nerve pain and 1st stage of going blind.
    Tell your friend to read, read, read and find out all they can on diabetes. Those with spoken words have been their.
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Hey, Type 1 here, since 1986. I wear an insulin pump, since 1994, and it's absoultely the best device out there for insulin dependent people (type 1) and lots of folks with type II. Make sure your bud sees a diabetes educator and the best endo. he can find.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I think the South Beach Diet uses the same concept that diabetics should follow. I know I talked to someone on a diabetic's diet and it sure sounded like South Beach. As many have already pointed out, the key is to get rid of sugar. Once you get past the craving it's pretty easy. Until you fall off the wagon...
  •  
    Hi barbqr1

Thanks for sharing with us. To many people don't think type 2 diabetes is that big a concern and think they can take it easy with it. Not so. Diabetes complications can effect every part of your body and can sneak up on you before you know it. I was going blind at an alarming rate from premature cataracts due to diabetes. Fortunately cataracts are now treatable and we have a local doctor that donates his services to those who can't afford treatment or I would be total blind by now. I too have neuropathy, I never dreamed that pain could be so diverse, it is really bazaar. It is frequently searing, stabbing pains in my hands, legs and feet. I had the sensation of a bad sunburn on the fronts of my legs and haven't worn long pants in many years. Thank goodness I live where it is warm. For years I couldn't even sleep with a sheet over my legs, it was just to painful. A wrinkle in the bottom sheet could wake me up in sever pain. Neuropathy can feel like a bug either climbing up your leg, foot, hand or arm or biting you. It is totally weird and likes to come out and play mostly at night. It has a clock and can tell time!
    Good luck with the retinopthy, every year they get closer to treating it.
    People have to learn that diabetes is a progressive disease who's progress is controllable at the early stages. If you are smart you can put off the dreaded complications for ever buy paying attention NOW! Good control is money in the bank, it is an investment you can't pass up.

Have a great day,

Gator
  • I'm a type I, which is more severe basically, and the egg is an integral source of food for my diet. Think meat and veggies. Lay off the bread and pizza.