Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooling Down the Egg

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an Egg newbie and was wondering how long it should typically take the egg to cool down? I can do a 400 or 500 degree cook for dinner in the evening and it still hasn't cooled down below 100 by the time I go to bed. Trust me, I am not complaining, but does anyone have any cool down tricks? What temp is safe to put the cover on it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Your cover if BGE issue, should be OK at 200 or so.
    Most times, I don't even bother with the cover. Close it up and call it a night.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Your cool down period sounds about right. The ceramic qualities that make it such a great cooker also make it very slow to cool down.

I have certainly put the cover on at 200 with no problem. However, as expensive as the cover is I now don't chance it and will let it sit overnight if necessary. Many on here never cover theirs so I figure a few nights uncovered won't hurt.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I close the bottom vent and replace the daisy with the ceramic cap.

I usually put my BGE cover on at 250 or less. I only use one because it covers the wood table too. I don't use a cover for the mini. The Eggs are fine if left exposed to the weather.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with the others. It is no big deal if it is uncovered every now and then but I let it cool to 150 or just warm to the touch before covering.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Brad,

You could move up here. 28* and snowing right now :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    It was cool here in Ventura Steve 65* :laugh:

Ross
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ross,

How awful for you.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeOrFire
    Options
    Depends how long it is between dinner and bed. When I first got the egg it didn't get below 200 for several (10 or so) hours. Turned out enough air was going through it to do "low and slow" with the draft door shut and rain cap on.

I put some nomex gasket around the chimney part. It now goes from 500 to less than 200 in about 3 hours, and there is a lot more coal left the next day.

Once its in the 200 range (on the inside) they vinyl on the outside shouldn't be a problem (the outside is cooler). Remember the vinyl seats survive in a car that can easily go over 140 in the summer sun!