Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver reheat question??

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many posts from you good folks stating that leftover Q, which was frozen in a Foodsaver bag, comes out tasting damn near fresh cooked when reheated.[p]Has anyone tried different techniques to determine how to get the best results, i.e. boil in the bag?, microwave?, thaw first or no?, bag open or closed?[p]I got a nice 2 lb. chunk of brisket from the last party. I hoarded it for myself.[p]Thanx in advance![p]K~G[p]

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    KennyG,[p]I've found that PP and ABTs are best if reheated out of the bag. Boil-in-the-bag or microwave makes the contents soggy. I take ribs out so I can cut them up.[p]Chuck
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    KennyG,
    I am mostly reheating pulled pork in the bags and I find either boiling or nukin works about the same..now thats not to say you throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes unattended..you gotta keep an eye on things..whenever I bring it into work thats what I do. I have never personally had a change of consistency or texture as was mentioned.[p]Wess

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    KennyG,[p]Boil-in-the-bag works best for me. Just make sure that there are no pin-holes in the bag from moving it around in the freezer. If there is any air in the bag, or the plastic isn't still tight on the food, there is a pin hole or 2.
    Then you'll have to m'wave 'em. Go slowly at lower temperatures and you won't dry out the meat.[p]BOB

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Hiya Kenny,[p]How's the knee cap? I talked to Larry after the holidays and he gave me the scoop. Yowza dude. Hang in there, spring is comin.[p]Boiling takes longer but IMHO that is the best way to go.[p]C-ya.[p]Mick
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    KennyG,[p]Boil in bag is the preferred method at house. Try to keep the water temp between 160F and 180F; just like pre-cooking mashed taters![p]Hope all is well,
    Puj

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    MickeyT,[p]I did the boil in the bag thing and it worked like a champ. Gotta make an attempt at having more leftovers.[p]The knee is coming along nicely, I am told. They have me in a flexible brace, currently dialed in to allow a 60° bend and I just started Physical Therapy. Should be kicking butt before too long.[p]K~G