Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Ribs?

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this on an older thread, but I've noticed people really don't seem to go back to those. Here it is again:

Do you do anything to the ribs before you start cooking them, like marinating them or using a dry rub overnight? I'm going to try my first ribs in my large egg tomorrow and I like the idea of cooking them slowly on the rack without flipping them or fooling around with them, and then saucing them toward the end. When you finish them indirect, do you take the whole grill off with the rack, at the plate setter, and then keep cooking?

I was responding to these posts:

Re:jj\'s ribs--I blew it
Date: 2009/10/28 19:54 By: RRP Status: User

you must like to play with your food! What's your fascination with frequent flipping? You're just fanning the fire but also causing the heat to rise and fall repeatedly. If you want to merely do something other than the popular 3/1/1.5 try the JSlot method of 300 indirect using your plate setter with legs up and grill on top. Key thing is no flip and no peek for 3 hours. By then your ribs will be close to being about 196° between the bones and ready for saucing and maybe a little more time, but not much.
reply | quote

Re:jj\'s ribs--I blew it
Date: 2009/10/28 20:38 By: bullyc Status: User

HI choo choo

We all learn by mistakes. try this next time, go ahead
and cook direct at whatever temp you like, but USE
a rib rack, stand them up meaty side up, and you
Won't have to flip them at all, maybe after 2 hrs
start spritzing them, I did mine for 3 hrs that way, then sauced them and finished off indirect for a
half hour, were very good, Just have to experiment,
good luck BullyC

Comments