Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bye Bye Vista

Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I installed Windows 7 last night replacing Vista. It took a lot longer than I expected ... started around 10:30 and did not finish till after 4:00 :angry::angry: .I wonder how 7 will work versus the old OS?

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Hi Tom, I'm thinking about moving from XP to 7 but want to hear about others' experience first. Did you do an 'incremental' install, or reformatted the partition and installed from scratch?
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Gary,

From XP do a clean install and NOT an upgrade.

7 is faster then XP and Vista. Vista works well but I had to turn off all the alerts, that is all the, do you really want to do this type messages, they drove me crazy.

If anyone is enrolled in a Trade School, Jr. College or College Win 7 can be purchased for $30.

GG
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Thanks GG. My kid can get it free from the university he attends :P
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    It'll be a lot more snappy in terms of performance. Been using it for months at work (I work for a certain computer company based out of Round Rock, TX...) and I am almost ready to give up my XP workstation build for Win7. Yup, almost...

My notebook has been running several different builds of Win7 for months now, and I must say that it's been one of their better offerings.

Good luck with your build--there are lots of tips for the new features out there, and as with other versions of Windows, things are moved around/changed from what they were before :(

Cheers!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    My experience with Vista has been horrible! It hangs, balks, stalls, crashes... you name it! Went to buy the Win7 upgrade at a local Staples today but both the store & warehouse were out of it! Think I'll try J&R.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If you are fighting a Vista Install then I don't think I would go for an upgrade, go for a full release when you do change over.

When I buy OS's I buy OEM full version plus a hard drive. I then return the unopened hard drive, if I don't need the HD. The companies won't allow return of opened software anyway.

I got a machine with Vista installed and it works great, although, I have never gotten used to the change from XP to Vista. I ahve a 'bunch' of machines I use here, all XP except for 1 Vista machine. I don't use the Vista much at all, but it has never even given a hint of a problem.

I might get 1 copy of Win 7 just to play with it. Win XP works well and I'm not excited pay for the updates or new installs.

GG
  • I'm using Win 7 on a netbook. I really like it. You can do a clean install from the upgrade. It's a little convoluted but it can be done.