Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wondering/O.T. forum feelings?

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in Off Topic
O.K. I have to see if I'm alone on this regarding the O.T. forum. I have never been offended with O.T. post on our Egg forum and in fact have enjoyed many of them and learned somethings while reading them. It the subject says O.T. I can just skip it and go on to the next post.

The problem I see is that a lot of us don't go to the other forum to check, I'm most likely to read them on the main forum. Many of us are still posting here so that we have exposure to the majority of the members.

So from now on I will post my O.T. subjects here unless I get the boot, they will be labeled so those not interested can just skip the post. No disrespect to the forum, it's only about contact with the group as a whole rather then the few that do look at the other forums.

How do y'all feel about it???

Regards,

Bordello

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Same anwer as regular forum! ;) Let's have one,me and you! ;):)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For most of the OT subjects I think they should be over on the regular forum.

However, I do like some of the WOT (Way Off Topic) subjects that are up over here. It is sad that some of the WOT stuff doesn't get the exposure and response from the vast majority of the members though.

Just sayin...

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    yup, i wouldnt ask questions about duel flush toilets or thicknesses of plate steel to stop bullets from heroine junkies on the regular forum, but its appropriate to ask here. regular everyday ot on the other forum is fine.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agree with you. I'm not offended by off topic posts but this forum is growing so fast and the number of posts are increasing big time.
    This forum has changed so much in just the short time I have followed.
    Regulars complain that no one reads posts or view posts in the OT side but I don't see that many have given it a fair chance. I'm very sure that if the regulars would "all" make use of the OT forum and guide others in this direction the true BBQ BGE forum would return to a BBQ forum and all regulars would have a place to keep in contact with all OT stuff in their life.
    In the eyes of a new Egger this forum must be a pain in the ass to wade through all our "friends talk". We have the chance to have the best of both if we all agree to do so.
    BBQ posts and questions get bumped off the page by vacation and travel posts, B-days, weddings, computer, internet, camera questions. People "ping" on the forum just to let another know they have called or emailed.
    You have to agree this will snowball and only increase.
    Thanks for the ear,
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Well said!

I have been frustrated that a large percentage of the veterans didn't seem to catch the main idea
    (I believe) behind the OT section and that is to try to keep same day posts from being pushed 3 pages deep
    in less than 24 hrs.

My theory is that if the subject lines and all the responses had the function of collapsing and expanding
    like the Eggfest and Special Events banners at the head of the main forum the problem would be mute. All subject lines and how ever many responses could be loaded as one line and if you wanted to view the what the responses were you would just have to click on a "expand all" arrow. I spent a few years in the newsgroups and all the headers (subject lines)there all had the ability to collapse or expand.

Just my opinion . . . I could be wrong
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I'm not sure what the answer is.. Posts on the main board will certainly get the most attention (and replies) but some feel they clutter and take up valuable space, pushing posts dedicated to the BGE down faster. Then again, "Woosday" pictures are a tradition and while kinda off-topic, most would probably miss the weekly ritual (is it not in memory of a lost 'Egger'?. I check in here on a regular basis but many probably don't, and then there are those who probably aren't aware of the 'alternate' forums. Probably a pipe-dream, but it would be nice if the main board (and this one) could be viewed in tandem before selecting one or the other. That way, topics could be scanned and then visited according to one's interest/s. Another possibility might be a "Please Visit Our Other Forums" banner on the opening page. Anyway, just my 2 pesos.. Time to make some ~salsa~!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I think all will agree Woosday to stay on topic.
    Most of the many Woosdays posts center around food photos as well as remembering a friend. Again, how much respect does Woosday get being bumped by 50 happy B-day threads.

Towards the top of the page you can choose "last 25". This will give you hits from both forums.

You can also choose "flat view" to close threads. Not the best option of this I have seen but it works.

The Off Topic forum should be more visable and I believe at this point you also have to Log On before it can be viewed.

Point being if the regulars would do it others would follow.

darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I am of the opninion that Off Topic posts should be on the Off Topic forum. The OT is provided for a reason, and oh by the way, it's free to use as is the main forum. Additionaly the webmaster has asked and reminded us on multiple occassions to use the OT and refrain from OT posts on the main forum.
    I belive the agreed upon exceptions are "anything food relatied goes on main" and "Woosday" becuase of the long time tradition.

My 2 pence.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Would someone please fill me in as to the history of this day here?

Thank You
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    I agree with everyone here, and think everyone is correct.

I only dropped by to see if Bordello Bob had posted any more of his unique "butt" pictures. Most of the butt photos I find on the regular forum are a mite disappointing. Now Bordello Bob understands how to do it right.

Just my two cents, and way overpriced at that.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bob,

I liked the forum the way it used to be. It's easy to skip something that you don't want and the "valuable space" gets used up pretty quick with on topic stuff. Much of that stuff is repeated questions and that is kinda boring to me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON