Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt On!!!

hilljec
hilljec Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished putting my first butt on the egg! Had a little trouble getting the egg up to temp with the Cyber Q II, but all is well. It took almost an hour for it to get up to temp with the fan running most of the time. Is this a normal amount of time to get up to temp? I have it set at 225 and used a torch to get it lit. I think I didn't get it started well with the torch, thinking the Cyber Q would get it going.

A few more minutes of watching to make sure everything stays good and its back to bed! ;)

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Good for you! Make sure we get to see the finished product!
  • KingSmono
    KingSmono Posts: 132
    Hmm, an hour seems like a long time to get up to 225... A few things to ask would be: How long did you leave the torch on the lump? And in how many places did you light the lump? Also, air-flow (or lack of air-flow) can have a big impact on how long it takes to get up to temp. Did you place the lump in the fire-box with air-flow in mind? Or did you just dump the bag of lump in?

Good luck with the first butt cook, and let us know how it turns out!
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    You will have about a 25% temp drop when you put the platesetter and cold butt in the egg. It's critical to watch your temps during this time because if you are using smoke, the smoke ring will begin to form. My guess is that you should be running at full dome in about 20-30 minutes. You may have air flow issues. I haven't purchased a huffer yet so my feedbed is based on the fire burning naturally.