Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2003: The Year I Entered the "Egg Comfort Zone"

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As 2003 closes, I think I have now approached the point where I am somewhat competent with my large BGE. I bought it in late 2002 and it took about 6 months before I truly got comfortable and stopped fretting and obsessing over the temperature gauge, the state of the fire, cooking times etc. Things I have learned:[p][li]I get much better-burning fires by occasionally giving the egg a thorough clean out including the removal of ash and charcoal chips from the space outside the firebox.
[li]I get better-burning fires by putting the larger pieces of lump at the bottom of the heap, à la Elder Ward
[li]Fires tend to burn from the center outwards
[li]MAPP gas is great way of getting the fire started; but beware of the sparks
[li]The fire will quench quicker if you stick a piece of gasket felt (cut in half lengthways) around the inside of the rain cap
[li]Your firebox will crack and, most likely, the crack will follow a natural fault line around the vent holes. The thing works fine as it is (for months I have had a new replacement sitting in its unopened box)
[li]If I could choose only one accessory, it would be a high speed Thermapen digital food thermometer
[li]I sleep undisturbed though my overnight low ‘n’ slow cooks using the BBQ Guru thingie. It was hard to figure out at first but all became clear after they sent me a comprehensive manual
[li]Cooking on the Egg is very therapeutic: I find it very relaxing after a stressful day
[li]Don’t want to get too heavy here but I believe cooking with fire appeals at a visceral level. Are we touching something that goes back to our beginnings?)
[li]Egging spreads by example and food sample. I was, I believe, the second in my neighborhood to get one. Now my neighbor has one, and so it goes on
[li]Go to Eggtoberfest if you can. I went to the one in Atlanta for the first time this year and had a great time (I cooked chicken strips in an Indian-style garlic marinade) and met some wonderful people
[li]I have learned most of my techniques from this forum. It is indispensable and… thank you[p]Happy New Year,
~~ Andrew

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments