Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got My Dizzy Pig Rubs! Best One for WIngs?

Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday I called Chris & ordered 8 different Dizzy Pig Rubs. He sent them out the next day and I got them today. I've read so many great comments on them I'm really excited to try them out. Tomorrow my hubby's having a pot luck at work and everyone requested I send wings from the BGE ( I sent some a couple a weeks ago that I was eggsperimenting with and they were a hit). Which Dizzy Pig Rub should I use on the wings in everyone's opinion??? And thanks to Nature Boy for the speedy shipment. Enjoyed the visit!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Tanya,[p]I like Swamp Venom the best for Wings. It's one of the spicier Dizzy Pig rubs, and I think it has a nice strong flavor which goes well with wings. Also, I know Smokin' Todd favors the Jamaican Firewalk for wings, and I've had many a tasty wing prepared with that rub.[p]
    Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Tanya
    Cornfed, Thanks! I sampled all of them when I got them and those two have a bite to them (I love REALLY hot and spicy). I figure some of the kick goes away as they cook or at least what I've used in the past has. Since I haven't used these yet should I coat generously or lightly sprinkle? Don't want to overheat the ones who don't like the heat. Thanks for the reply!

• Cornfed
    Tanya,[p]I like a lot of heat on my wings. That said, and I hate giving answers like this, but I probably go somewhere between lightly sprinkle and generously coat. Is that clear as mud, or what?[p]I say that since I think the wings will stand up to a lot of rub. Then again, I've seen others who really coat the heck out them. I know the aforementioned Smokin' Todd really puts on a lot of Firewalk, and they come out great. I usually go a little lighter since I also usually use some sauce at the end.[p]Maybe do some light and some heavy to account for the varied tastes of your eaters. I know it's hard to keep them straight when you cook them, though, since you often have to manage hot spots and such.[p]Good luck and enjoy! I just enjoyed some wings myself...
    Cornfed

• Tanya
    Cornfed, One more question. You said you add sauce at the end. Do you add it the last part of cooking or after you take them off? And what recipe do you use for your sauce? I've just used Louisianna HotSauce and butter to coat after they are off before. However, I've only done twice on the egg ( all other times in the kitchen, and I thought they were the best :-( That was before the egg! LOL) Thanks for your help!

• Cornfed
    Tanya,[p]I don't use sauce when cooking. I only add it after they come off the Egg. Specifically, I like to put the wings in tupperware then add the sauce and then toss the wings in the sauce until they're well coated.[p]As for what sauce, I've often used the famous hot sauce and butter combo. This is a very popular sauce for a reason - it's very good! I like to thicken it up a little, though. One simple recipe I saw somewhere on the web several years ago and which I still frequently use is to make a roux with equal parts butter and flour, then add your sauce to this thickening base. This gives it more of a "buffalo wing" sauce thickness rather than the thinner hot sauce texture. Simmer this on the stove for 15 minutes to a half hour. I think the original recipe I saw called for adding champagne vinegar and garlic. When I'm cooking for the right audience, I also like to add a few drips of a really hot sauce like a Dave's Insanity or perhaps a small amount of habanero peppers. If it's for a bunch of people, though, I usually stick with something like Franks and maybe a little Tabasco at the end to make it a little hotter...[p]Don't forget the bleu cheese dip on the side![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Tanya
    Cornfed, Thanks again. I like the idea of thickening it up and am going to do that. You can't get good hot wings in the Panhandle of Texas readily so that sauce was a big hit last time. My hubby told them I might not have time to do the wings on Christmas Eve and they said, "OK, But just send the sauce!" Also, they don't go without celery and blue cheese dressing! I'm anxious to make a good impression with the Egg cooking ,although even what doesn't turn out the best is still good. I don't think you can get anything bad off of it! :--) so really appreciate the help! I'll let you know results and comments.

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Tanya,
    3 parts Jamaican Firewalk to 1 part Swamp Venom dusted fairly heavily on the wings before cooking. Yum !!!

• Tanya,
    Hey jsut to chime in here... I recenty looked around to find a good recipe for home made BC dressing.. came across this one on Epicurious.. it is great stuff and very easy to make... let it sit overnight to mingle the flavors... its great all by itself:[p]1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sour cream
    4 oz blue cheese*, crumbled (1 cup)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons milk [p]* If you want a strong Blue cheese flavor use a strong blue cheese, vice versa.
    Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, lemon juice, chives, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and thin with milk or water to desired consistency. [p]Cheers, [p]Brian

• Tanya
    Thanks Mr. Beer and Nardi for your help. Will incorporate both suggestions along with Cornfeds. That's what is neat about this forum. You can take a little bit of all and come up with something really great! Will keep you posted on the results! The blue cheese dressing sounds really good, can't wait to try it.