Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone

PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make my first pizza later this week.
Do I put anything on the stone so it does not stick?
What temp, and for how long, do I bake it?
What would I use if make chocolate chip cookies?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You might want to sprinkle some corn meal on the stoine but that is it. 500 deg F till the cheese is melted and the crust is a light brown.

For the cookies use, flour, water, vanilla, butter, sugar, chocolate chips...

OK seriously get a cook sheet that will fit your egg.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Buy two of these and you will be fine for pizzas, cookies, etc

http://www.amazon.com/AirBake-WearEver-Natural-Perforated-Pizza/dp/B000063SKQ

also make sure you have the BGE pizza stone

btw the pizza pans are cheaper at Target but that link would not work...FYI
  • Here is a link to my Pizza hints and tips page: Pizza Hints and Tips Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Parchment paper on a raised stone.
  • This is my setup.
    DSC_0023.jpg

parchment paper on pizza stone on on egg feet on top placesetter, you can bake cookies this way as well

Ross
  • You use these on top of the stone? Air gap between stone and pan?
  •  
    Ross, that looks fantastic! smiley_drool.gif

Gator

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't understand the need for anything between the stone and the pizza. Other than corn meal that is. Assuming you have a peel. It's all I've ever used in either my oven or the egg. No screens, no pans, no parchment... and no moveable parts on the peel :).

Just a little corn meal on the peel, add toppings after you put the dough on the peel and then just slide it onto the stone. Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I used to use corn meal until I tried parchment.
    I find parchment makes working with the Pizza a lot easier.

This is especially true if you have a lot of toppings.

At the end of the day corn meal, parchment, air bake pans, whatever- it's all a matter of personal choice.

just like your preferred method of starting your fire.
  • Because I make a really thin crust pizza

Ross
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Michael I have a peel and use it sometimes but doing cookies that way is a mess... :P

I have 2 AirBakes for the large BGE & 2 for the small Egg and they are just so much easier to me...also I usually put the pan right on the stone...
  • Carolina Q
    Yeah, Kim, I imagine a peel would make cookies an adventure!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Thin crust? Me too. Sometimes anyway. I think I have some parchment laying around here somewhere. I'll have to give it a try next time. Not thrilled with corn meal on the crust anyway.

Always heard that crust came out better if placed directly on the moisture absorbing stone, but maybe that's wrong - or parchment doesn't impede that process?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Here is a cook I did at 675*
    DSC_0026-9.jpg

DSC_0027-6.jpg

DSC_0031-5.jpg

Ross
  • Carolina Q
    Well, THAT looks about as good as it gets!! Maybe tonight. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut