Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric Starter

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week I purchased a BGE Electric Starter, I have used it 5 times and like it alot. Works great and I like the design. Missing the "caveman; man vs fire thing" a little. But it seems like the fire starts a little faster and with even heat to grill. anyone else use Electric Starter? what do you think of them?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I'm on my second one in about 5 years now. No complaints as it works just fine.
  • PhilsGrill
    How long/how many starts did you get out of your 1st one? Did it just not light up? can you tell once they are ready to go? Thanks for info
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I enjoy using a mapp gas torch more, but sometimes I just toss in the electric loop and go prep the meal. They do work well.
  • Gas Torch would require your presents :)
  • I love mine! My dad used to use one way back in the day when we had a Weber. (I was ten and am now 33) He still uses one now on his egg. The only disadvantage is if you do not have an eletrical source. Hoss's BBQ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I got one with my egg,burned it up 3rd time I used it! :blush: Ain't my cup-o-tea. :angry:
  • Hoss, I am sure you could return that starter; must be a defected one.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Naw,I plugged it in,went into the house for what I thought was a minute,came back to a melted starter.I'll stick to paper towels and old fish cookin oil.For the money It would be about 30 years before I'd break even on another elec starter. ;) And that is if I did'nt burn the next one!!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Used them a bunch in the past for webber cooks on friends grills. Couldn't see doing it in the egg. Not sure why....Kinda like I'm born again! Although I never did buy one or never would. My buddy's that used them always seemed to be burning them out pretty quick. In the Webber days I was a chimney guy. Now I use the torch 99% of the time. Except tonight (late night cook) I only used the soldering iron to smoke some cheese. :)

If you dig the elec unit, then by golly that's what you should use. Just remember one thing...those things don't know time. :huh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh: :huh: Burnt another...My buddy had a whole mess of them hung over the same hook when the died. I think they are finally done buyin'em. :pinch:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    You bet.... I use one when it's below zero, or really windy, or when it's so hot and dry I don't want stray sparks flying around my deck. I block the lid open and snake the cord out. In about 10 minutes there is a nice fire started.

LIDBLOCK1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I think the first one lasted a little over a year and the coil just broke. This one is going strong after 3+ now. The secret is to plug it in and set the timer on the stove for 5 minutes and then unplug. Any longer will wear out the coil faster I think. I got to have hundreds of cooks on this one, I mean hundreds at four cooks per week.
  • I have used the $9.95 electric starters from Lowes for several years. i a;ways keep a spare one in the storage room in case I do like Hoss and leave it in the Egg for too long. If the fire gets too hot, it will melt the insulation and handle. It takes a while for that to happen, so you can do a few things - just gotta remember it's there. Also the loop will eventually burn into, but for $9.95, they last a pretty good while and they are really convenient.

I do not use it for low & slow cooks, as I don't want to lite the coals all the way through, I want it to burn slowly form the top down.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth...... :)
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    I use them on a regular basis. Really works well. However, I learned the hard way to make sure that you take it out as soon as you get your fire going. Because if you leave it in too long it will break
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    I use the electric starter and like it alot.