Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Stall

SeattleQ
SeattleQ Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put an 8 pound pork shoulder on my large BGE at 3:45am this morning figuring for around a 12 hour cook. At the 9 hour mark it hit 179 degrees but seems to have stalled, it is now at 180 degrees at the 12 hour mark. I have been cooking it at approximately 225 to 250 dome temp the entire time, I have heard that these can tend to stall but did not experience this in the first boston butt that I did last year. I have some time to spare since I do not need to have it ready until 6:30 to 7pm. I opened the vents to increase the dome to 300 to get it going. Does anyone have any other suggestions or is this completely normal?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It is completely normal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Normal, as far as I know. My last 7.5 pounder plateaued at about 170. For a 8 lb butt though, I would plan on at least 14-15 hours.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• And you did the right thing - crank the heat up a bit till it gets through the plateau. Once that happens, it will usually finish pretty quickly.

Good luck,

-John
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Getting it through the plateau quickly defeats the purpose of low and slow. It is in the plateau that all the fat and collagen is rendered out. The faster you push though that plateau the more fat and grizzle you will have at the end.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Push the temp back down. You had the plateau the last time. You just didn't see it.

The reason it takes 1 - 2 hours per pound IS that plateau.

8 pounds at 180 at 12 hours you are in the ball park time wise.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. I reach 200 degrees at 13 hours 45 minutes. I am looking forward to pulling it in a little over an hour.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I agree with Wolf. Theres no need to "push" it thru the plateau. Allow yourself 2 hours per pound next time and you wont have to "push" nothing.Plus you will have time for the important rest period. I only remember going over 250 for a butt one time and it was because I got a request for a butt at the last minute and couldnt find a smaller one.
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    During my first couple of low-n-slow cooks I was surprised a chunk of meat like that could plateau for so long (even drop in temp)!!! Also surprising how each cook is different with regards to plateau times. Like others have said, don't rush through the plateau, in fact, it's probably a good chance to crack open another beer and enjoy the smell coming from the egg.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    As much as this hurts (and trust me, the pain is immeasurable), I have to agree with Pete on this one.
  • Celtic Wolf
    You'll get over it... I know I have :woohoo: