Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Eggtoberfester

Jack's-Gourmet
Jack's-Gourmet Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a first time participant cooking at Eggtober Fest, I wonder if any of you "seasoned" vet's can offer advice on what to expect in regards to food prep,service,utinsil's,etc...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    This was posted by forum member tjv earlier in the year and I found it very valuable:

Wondering about eggfests, here are a couple suggestions from my experiences.

- Don’t cook all day. You’ll pick your head up just in time to see everyone leave.
    - Unless you have an unusual offering, don’t plan to feed a battalion. You’ll end up begging folks to take food.
    - Food goes faster early than late in the day. Folks arrive hungry, eat and get full…..so the typical bbq goodies served late may be a hard give away.
    - The best way to offer food is to get in the crowd and starting serving. So preplan your food delivery process, including a clean way for folks to handle the food.
    - Arrive early; best time to have a relaxed conversation with someone is before the action starts.
    - You’re not going to “Let’s make a Deal” so no need to bring your entire kitchen. Half the fun is borrowing something, gives you a reason to meet and talk.
    - Wear your name tag with actual and forum name. Big letters are easy to read in a crowd. Remember, most folks only know your forum name.
    - Walk around and don’t be afraid to stick your nose in a group and say hello. We all have the same thing in common. Don’t know what to say, how about…….whatcha cooking?
    - Team up in small groups. It just makes life easier with supplies, cooking, handing food out and clean up. Don’t know anyone, find someone. It can be as easy as two neighbors pulling tables a little closer together.
    - If you really want to meet certain folks, make a list prior. It’s easy to get caught up in the moment and forget.
    - Be respectful of the moment….if you can’t say or do it in front of your mom, chances are it won’t fly at the fest.
    - If there is a special item you want to try, track it like a dog on a scent. Chances are if your interested others are too and it could be here and gone in a flash.

Enjoy the day, relax and have fun. Remember to thank those who sponsored and organized the event. Without them, you would not be there.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Plan on enough to provide approximately 50 people a taste. You're not providing full portions so that probably equates to about 16 servings of what ever you're doing.
    Bring something to serve on. Small paper plates, paper cups or even a paper towel will suffice. If what you're doing is not finger food, bring some plastic forks as well.
    If you're doing something where you plan to distribute by hand, bring some food service gloves. Especially this year, people do not like to see the food they're being offered handled by human hands. (If you have a pet monkey. bring it - monkey hands are ok apparently)
    Don't feel it is your responsibility to provide food to everyone. Cook one or two items and then get out and enjoy what others cook.
  • Pace yourself (sampling the food) otherwise You won't want to eat for two days after.But it's sooo good! :laugh: B) :P
    Jon
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jack's-Gourmet,

Someone,and I think it was Kim, had a comprehensive list of everything you might want to bring. Hopefully someone will post it. My advice; don't count on the free beer :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    but i did find this one:::

How to, Camping/Cooking, Kit, W/Ingredients, Wise One

Alcohol Wipes
    Aluminum Foil, Roll
    2 Aluminum Trays, (9x12 or so)
    Anti-Biotic Ointment
    Baby Wipes
    3-4 Bags, Trash
    gallon Bags, Zip Lock
    Bandaid, Gauze
    Basting Brushes
    Bear Claws/Pulling Meat
    Beverages, BEER, Sodas, Water
    BGE(S) & Associated Grids, Plate Setters, Tools
    5 gallon Bucket w/handle
    Bug Spray
    Camera
    Charcoal
    Cooler, Ice
    Corkscrew & Bottle Opener
    Cutting Board
    Cutting Board Papers, Box Absorbant
    Duct Tape
    Dutch Oven
    Firestarter
    First Aid Kit
    Flashlight/Batteries
    Gloves, Pair, Cheap For Food & Leather For Hot Coals, Grids, etc.
    Grill Cleaning Tool
    Hatchet/ Meat Cleaver
    Knife, Chef's 10", Sharp and Honed
    Knife, Small Utility, 3" or so
    Knife, Steel, To Sharpen
    Knives, Forks, Spoons, Plastic
    Matches
    Pam
    Paper, Napkins, Towels
    Paper, Plates, Bowls, Various Sizes
    Parchment Paper
    Plastic Cups, Small, To Serve Food Samples
    Plastic Glasses, For Beverages
    2 Platters, Serving, Inexpensive
    Pot Holders, Pair
    Sharpie
    Spatula
    Suntan Lotion/Chapstick
    Thermometers, Thermapen
    Tongs
    Tool Box, Large
    Toothpicks, Box
    Wood Chips & Chunks
    Wrenches, ( 9/16" and 1/2" ), To Tighten Nuts on BGE(S)

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Author: Wise One, J Appledog, Ronbeaux, Others

Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 10/02/05

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Terry,

I guess I was wrong but someone had one particular to eggfests.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Personally I dont think there will be a problem getting rid of food, but then Ive only been to and cooked at one Eggtoberfest. We cooked all the premium stuff first, then Sous Chef Chris K. (Eggindawgs Son) knocked out a couple hundred burgers right up till the end, and every one was swooped up like a pack of jackals on a road kill.
    I agree with everything else, very much so.
  • BENTE
    i looked through my living cook book and did not find it i looked everywhere i thought it would be ;)

oh well :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Richard had a copy last year but I guess he's banned right now :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BENTE
    why wouldn't he post as not logged in like so many do when they are at work?

seems like a good idea to me :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    He can't. I was on the phone with him when I made that last post. He said they are trying to help him now. He can see but can't respond as logged in or guest so if you want to drive him crazy post a bunch of recipe requests now. :evil: :evil: :laugh:
  • BENTE
    naw i know if i post a bunch of recepie answers that will drive him crazy!!

like this one::::

Pork, Bologna, Richard Fl.

I know this has been done before, but this is a great snack food.

1 2 lbs Bologna, Chub, I Used Smithfield pork/chicken
    Marinade:
    1/3 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    1/3 cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    Add when placing on BGE
    Some Favorite Rub

1 Score the chub down the sides about 1/4 inch deep and about 6 cuts. Cut the chub into 3 pieces of about equal size. Took a Chinese wooden chop stick and pierced several holes to absorb the marinade. Marinated overnight in the refrigerator.
    2 Next day, took out of the refrigerator and sprinkled some rub & cooked indirect, on vertical axis, at 325°F for about 1 1/2 hours. Pulled at 170°F. Basted with marinade every 20-30 minutes. Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
    3 Also , when sliced, makes a great sandwich.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/06/30

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    See ya next week buddy ;)
  • BENTE
    figured that was appropriate :evil:

can't wait to hang with ya again on thursday night remember i will not be drinking till we get to the hotel so be preparred B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Stay away from Fidel and you will save money. He will make you buy stuff you don't want or need.