Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas cook dillema

Seth
Seth Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be taking my small egg to my girlfriends house for the christmas cook. I will be cooking 2 pork tenderloins and a beef tenderloin. I can easily do the two pork tenderloins, I have those hands down figured out. My question is this....How long should I figure for a beef tenderloin at 325 direct on a small shooting for 135* internal? I think the tenderloin will go longer, and I wont have enough room, so I might have to start the beef on the egg and finish in the oven. I know, blasphamy, but all I have to work with is a small. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Seth

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    You should be able to fit all the tenderloins on the small at one time. I don't see the problem. The pork tenderloins will need cook to higher temp, but they should be somewhat smaller than the beef anyway. I would think that they would cook in about the same amount of time.[p]My 2¢
    Jim

• Seth
    JSlot,
    Your 2 cents are worth much more that that to me. My Tenderloins usually take about 40 minutes or so to get to 145*-150*, but it seems to me that the beef will take longer. How long should I expect the beef loin to take at 325* direct on a small?
    Seth

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I would expect the beef tenderloin to take about an hour or so. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Of course, a lot depends on the temp you pull your beef. The last one I did was pulled at 130° and it was just about perfect for my taste.[p]Jim
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Seth,
    How big is the Beef Tenderloin?
    RhumAndJerk

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    RhumAndJerk,
    You still wearin that ear to ear grin from Hotlanta....LOL[p]
    Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    WessB,
    I am now!
    Thanks for the reminder.
    R&J

• Seth
    RhumAndJerk,
    I dunno, she will be picking it up this weekend. I like the idea of cuting about a 3lb roast out of the biggest part and going with that.
    Seth

• RhumAndJerk
    Seth,
    There are a couple of ways to go with this since you are starting with whole beef tenderloin. The center portion is the prime section to cut steaks. Also, a three pound tenderloin roast is more meat than you think. Usually a filet is 8 to 10 ounces so if you want a three pound roast, you will be farther ahead to just roast the whole tenderloin. However, the real estate of the small prohibits this. [p]About a month ago, I had a 1 lb tenderloin roast in the freezer. I used the Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin recipe from Smoke & Spice. I cooked the roast on my small BGE like I would a steak, but with a longer dwell. I had my small up to 550 and seared each side for about three minutes each. Then, instead of cap the egg, I put the daisy wheel on to throttle back the temperature. Once the temp dropped, I was able to use my polder. I pulled the roast out at 125. Also, I flipped the roast a couple of times to keep the Crust even. The overall cooking time was probably not over a half hour.[p]My suggestion is to cook the Beef first so that it can rest while you cook the pork, which if cooked at high temperature should finish up about the same time that beef has rested long enough.[p]Here is another crazy point in the fact that we had leftovers. If those were steaks, my wife and I would have eaten it all, but sliced as a roast we did not eat as much.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk,
    BTW, I cooked it using Direct heat.
    R&J

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Seth,[p]I'll second the recommendation for the Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin recipe from Smoke and Spice...it's outstanding. Here's a link to a post following one we did not long ago...[p]Enjoy,
    Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Tenderloin Thread[/ul]