Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg consideration

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After years of using cheap gas grills, I am tired of having them constantly flare up to destroy a perfect salmon filet. I did a little shopping over the weekend looking at other, high-end gas grills (Weber, etc.), and came across this website today. I am really intrigued by the idea of the Egg. Is this a suitable replacement for someone who likes to do a lot of fairly quick cooking on the grill? I know there is a bit more time involved due to the grill heating, but how much additional time is involved over a gas grill? I cook a lot of seafood and am really annoyed by the problem of flare ups. How does the Big Green Egg perform for seafood?[p]Thanks for any help,
Todd

Comments

• Todd,[p] If you do a search in the archives, I think you'll find many examples of the BGE performing exceptionally on seafood. Lots of posts on salmon (including my adventure trying to cold smoke on my BGE), oysters, lobster and even squid (which NatureBoy will be preparing at EggFest this weekend). You can cook direct or indirect. Tru, the BGE is not an "instant-on" appliance, but it does heat up surprisingly fast as the lump charcoal does not have to be "burned down" like briquettes. I can get my large BGE from cold to a pretty stable 400 degrees in l5 minutes easily. Faster if I take the time to clean the air holes first! I'm sure other seafoodies will chime in . . .[p]MikeO
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Todd,
    I, too, became disenchanted with the conventional grills and stumbled onto the BGE quite by accident. I took the plunge, however, and have not regreted my decision...neither has my family. The Egg takes about 10 minutes of preparation before it is up to temperature. Since I bought my BGE last year (May of 99) we have had friends invite themselves over again and again for BBQ! Two of our friends even went out and purchased their own BGEs after enjoying one of my mustard-rubbed steaks. Believe me, you will not be disappointed! If you're near Waldorf, MD this weekend, stop in to the VFW and taste it to believe it!
    bd

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Todd,[p]Welcome to BGE country! The Egg does an exceptional job of seafood, pork, poultry, beef, etc. I (and probably most others) understand your interest in the time factor needed to light, but I think MikeO stated things well. I find my medium is ready in about 10 minutes. But please consider more than just time. The Egg will open up a host of cooking possibilities. You'll not only cook more often, but you'll cook better! Look through the forum and discover what you're missing! [p]Smokey
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Todd,[p]The BGE is one of the most versatile cookers on the market. I own a number of cooking toys and find myself using it most often. Seafood is a favorite around here and you will find that with a little practice, the "ritual" of charcoal grilling (with better taste) takes no longer than waiting for that old propane ruster to finally get hot enough to cook something. Grilling on an Egg is mostly "hood closed" which all but eliminates flare ups and that's just for starters. [p]You may also do steaks over extreme temps (1000*+) on one end of the spectrum and real low and slow BBQ at 225* on the other. Try smoking salmon for about an hour at low temps and while using alder and or maple chips for extra flavor. I'm willing to bet that you"ll suddenly find the speed factor not quite so important. [p]Do you like fresh baked bread and pizza? That which you make yourself on the Egg in "brick oven" mode cannot be matched by most restaurant IMHO. [p]Join the fun, join the family and welcome aboard.[p]K~G

• Todd,[p]We just bought our BGE about a week ago and salmon was the fist thing we cooked. It was the best we ever had. Used alder chips to smoke it @ 250 degrees for about 20 minutes.[p]We've also done beer can chicken, burgers and a steaks. I'm looking forward to a pork loin. [p]We don't have any regrets.[p]

• JFK
    JFK Posts: 12
    Todd,[p]I bought my egg @ two months ago and haven't looked back since. I have cooked Sea Bass, Trout, Salmon, Chicken, Poussin, Quail, Pheasant and various cuts of red meat. I have also been introduced to "brining" meat particularly poultry and I can't imagine it done any differently. This forum has been priceless.[p]I am still getting use to the "settings", eg. how closing the bottem vent vs. the top vent effects the temp. etc. But it is part of the eggs character. [p]Go for it, but get the large. Anything else is just too small if you "ever" need to cook for more than four people.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    STEAKS
    <p />Todd,
    The other folks have summed it up nicely! The egg works great for quick grilling, and also opens up a whole new world of other kinds of cooking possibilities that require investigation. You'll wanna do low/slo stuff, and once you cook a pizza, there is no turning back. Ribs are succulent, and tough to duplicate on any other type of cooker.[p]As far as seafood, salmon is great seared and cooked to a medium rare. But also wonderful and smoky if cooked low and slow over some nice wood smoke. The big thing is you have a choice. As far as grilling, the results are superior to a gas grill. Not only because you are cooking over natural charcoal and wood, but because the egg retains moisture and doesn't dry the meat out as a gas grill can. Flareups are nearly non-existant, and searing is gorgeous.[p]Buy it, and get to work!
    Hope to see you back posting to announce your purchse!
    Here are some steaks. Total time from the time I lit the firestarter: 20 minutes.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    STEAKS
    <p />Todd,
    Sorry, missed a letter. Dang.
    Here are some steaks. Total time from the time I lit the firestarter: 20 minutes.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]NB, those pictures should be shown to all young cows so they can know what they should aspire to be when they grow up.[p]Cornfed
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Todd,[p]The Egg takes a little longer to heat up than a gas grill, but then the gas grill quickly fades.[p]The Egg will cook exactly the same 12 months a year. Rain, snow, air temperature, and wind have little effect on its ability to cook (vent adjustments only). If you want to use it, it is ready to be used.[p]Consider the warranties of the various products, the ability to contact the manufacturer if a replacement is needed, and how willing they are to honor it. Before you purchase, give the companies a call and talk to them. You will be surprised.[p]What outdoor cookers/smokers/grills have a support group like this one?[p]My Eggs are one of the very few things I own that work better than advertised.[p]To answer your question - No, the Egg is not a suitable replacement. It is an appropriate upgrade. My best seafood cooks have come from the Egg.[p]I hope to see you back here soon,
    Spin

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Todd,
    I stumbled across the Egg at a local dealer when I was looking for a replacement for my Weber Kettle. Spin and others pointed me in the right direction and believe me, they were right. Many former gas grill users now enjoy the Egg. [p]I bought my Egg in July of 99, and have loved every minute of ownership. Before I got the Egg, I only grilled. Now I grill and also do "low and slow" with the Egg, using it as a smoker to cook the best ribs I have ever tasted. Pulled pork and brisket are also wonderful things to cook on the Egg. Salmon is my favorite sea food that I have done on the Egg, but I have also done shrimp, which is great. [p]Try it, and I don't think that you will regret it. And, as for size, I have the large - it works well.

• Wow, thanks everyone![p]It is really refreshing to get such a great response. I suppose the amazing loyalty to this grill must really speak well of its performance. I have requested a brochure so that I can do the appropriate selling to the other part of this buying decision, my wife :-)[p]By the way, what is the price for the large model (I will be having it shipped here to my home in North Carolina)? A rough estimate will be fine, I just don't have a gauge for the cost.[p]Thanks again for the response everyone. I really do appreciate it.[p]Hoping to be part of the herd (bad pun, I know),
    Todd

• Spin
    Todd,[p]Enter your zip code (BGE home page) and you may find that a dealer is local.[p]Tell your better half that my better half considers the investment very well worth it. Not only better eats, but less cooking for her :).[p]Spin[p]

• Spin
    Spin,[p]My apologies. Enter your zip code from the forum page.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Todd, I haven't read all the other posts... [p]Before I got my Egg, we were eating out a minimum of 2 nights every week and sometimes 3 - do the math... number of dinners out times average cost = savings per week x 52 = savings per year - yes, we still eat out, about 2 or maybe 3 times every month. My egg paid foor itself withing the 1st few months.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Todd,[p]My parents brought back a Kamado (the Japanese name for the Egg)in 1963 as a gift for my my aunt. It has sat faithfully outside her house in Virginia for the last 37 years, through rain, hurricanes, floods, and wind, meanwhile producing some of the best pork, ribs, steamed oysters, grilled fish, and steaks in the world. Average that out over the cost-per-use![p]Over the years the insides (fire ring, grate, etc) broke and needed fixing. About 3 years ago I replaced them, put in new gaskets, and repainted the outside. It is now on a new life, performing with slow grace every summer.[p]I'm in Chapel Hill and had my own Egg delivered from Atlanta before there were local dealers here in NC. Delivery by motor freight was about $40.[p]You'll never regret the investment - Bob

• Spin,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I entered my zip code and found the closest vendor is about 90 miles away. I may have to have it shipped anyway though since I doubt it will fit in my New Beetle. Hmmm, an egg-shaped car and possibly and egg-shaped grill. There seems to be a theme here.....[p]Todd

• Todd, don't say herd,, you'll scare the dinner guests. The best dinner guests come in herds, schools, clutches, gaggles, and,, and,, I can't remember what to call a bunch of pigs... OH! I remember! Inlaws eating off of my egg.. Heehee. We're actually a cult, and welcome aboard. Seafood is my main fare down here. The egg handles it wonderfully. I bought an expensive Holland propane grill just because it has a drip pan and would not allow flare-ups, even if you needed it to. Then I heard about the BGE. The Holland is a mighty-fine grill and I love to cook on it. But I only use it for overflow crowds now that I'm cooking on the egg. The egg won't flare-up either, unless you want it to. But the stainless steel Holland really sets off my cooking area.. I find myself looking at different meats and wondering "I'll bet that would be great on the egg." Get your egg and holler back at us for a few starter recipes. You will be very suprised. And don't worry about throwing in a few YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA's after cooking on it. It's a natural thing, you can't help it,, and we all do it occasionally.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Reading that made me smile, Todd. We were driving a turquoise'66 Pontaic wagon the day we found ourselves buying a BGE (from a brand new dealer on their opening day). Now we have his & hers eggs. Go for it! J ulie