Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grates

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a medium Green Egg since last October. This is the 3rd grate that had broken, each time I have one sent from Atlanta it is replace at nocharge, but a $10 shipping charge, normally this is okay, but why do I need to replace so frequently, I burn the big geen egg charcoal. Is there a better grate to be gotten. I thought about going to a plumbing supply for a grate, but this steel grate may swell with heat and wedge in the firebox, I was told. Does anyone have any help...thanks[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    mensa, you can e.mail me if you like. Those grates can be repaired quite easily.
    C~W[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    mensa,
    It is unusual for someone to go through 3 grates in 6 months. I've used mine for 2 years and it is in perfect shape. What are your cooking methods? Is the grate seated properly in the bottom of the egg? How do you get it out to clean it? Does it ever get wet when it's hot? Just some thoughts.
    JimW

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_23_9909_41_01.jpg
    <p />mensa, my 1st grate lasted about 3 months before it split in half - when I ordered the replacement I ordered a 2nd that I paid for. So far I'm still on the 2nd grate holding one in reserve. I've included a link for a trivet - only problem is that it might be too large for the medium egg.[p]Another option - I think it was C~W's idea - is to find a 6.5 inch cast iron floor drain - I've looked but the best I have found to date is a 6 inch - I about tempted to order the trivet just to see if it works in the medium.

[ul][li]Trivet[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Char-Woody, I would also really appreciate the repair method - thanks! It might be of general interest - worth the post.

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    expmetgrt.jpg
    <p />mensa,[p]I made a replacement from expanded metal. Just cut it with a jig saw the same as the original grate. Works great. Expanded metal came from Home Depot. Used the 1/2 inch size. I put some bolts through the grate to stablize it in the firebox so that it didn't move around when I stirred ashes and charcoal. It may burn out with time, but it can be easily, and cheeply, replaced.[p]Bryan