Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking fresh sausage

Options
Moondog
Moondog Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought some fresh ground sausage today and we're not sure what temp to cook it at or for how long? Please help, we're hungry! :)

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    in what form will you be cooking it? is it in casing, patties, logs??
  • Moondog
    Options
    It's in casing. Also, do we have to cure it first?
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    IMG_8191.jpg
    I smoked these at 250 until 160 internal temp. I used hickory.
  • Moondog
    Options
    Do we need to cure the sausage first?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Moondog...some cure is usually mixed into the meat by the sausage maker. Enjoy that it is nice fresh sausage...no curing needed. You can smoke it, as you have already been shown, or you can grill it direct like a bratwurst....depends on the result you want in the end. Make sure you hit 160* internal. Happy Cookin! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01894a.jpg

No problem... well, no problem hot smoking it. (cold smoking involves adding some nitrites into the meat before stuffing, then smoking at low temps for several hours) Build a small fire and use a very raised or indirect setup with a pit temp around 200°, or as low as you can hold. Oil the grate to avoid sticking. Add your favorite flavor wood to the fire.

First the links will swell, then they will sweat. This is a good time to close the vents, because the next thing the sausage will do is spit......which is okay, but if the fire is too hot following the spitting phase, they will split and you don't want that. All the moisture you worked so hard to hold onto will be lost. Turn them as needed to balance the color and doneness.

Cherry will give sausages a nice color. They are done at 155° to 160°. Be sure and rest them a few minutes before slicing.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    WOW even when i think you have shown me so much things that make me say wow i think i will not see another you surprise me again!!

i hope to make my own sausages one day but some guy in missouri can't find a post office i have to make do with store bought but do me a favor ..... MARK MY WORDS i will speak with you soon ;) i hope to gain some more from you if you can spare it..... once again :P :woohoo:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ShortRIb
    Options
    One thing you might want to consider. If you are planning on freezing or storing some of you sausage for later, use this technique:

As soon as you get them to temp, throw them into an ice water bath. Bring the internal temp down to about 70 degrees.

You would do this because if you don't the swollen hot sausages will cool and shrink slowly. Causing them wrinkle. They don't look as tasty when they are small and shriveled. (keep jokes to yourself here please :evil: ).

I do this whenever I make sausages, especially when I am doing summer sausages.