Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dogs n bones

Options
Ripnem
Ripnem Posts: 5,511
edited November -1 in Off Topic
What bones are ok for dogs or what bones aren't?

I know I wouldn't give them chicken bones, just unsure of all the rest.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My dog actually eats the bone...so generally I don't give her cooked bones from steaks etc....

I will give her the big marrow bones, but I've had vets tell me those are too hard for their teeth....

I spent 6k on her two knee replacements, so I guess I'd rather spend 1k on a tooth than have her choke on a splintered bone.....
  • Gator Bait
    Options

The only thing I might add to what Chris has said is that I would not give them the bone from a cured ham. I made that mistake once. I had a one hundred pound Yellow Lab/Golden Retriever mix that was one of those rare and truly great animals. He would turn himself inside out to try and make me happy. I made the mistake of giving him a honey baked ham bone as I walked out the door for work one morning. That thing or the small amount of meat left on it must have had a ton of salt in it cause when I came home and walked through the front door I thought that the tide had come particularly high while I was gone! Poor old Champ had probably downed a couple gallons of water and not even a Saint could have held it all day. Poor dog was so embarrassed, we never tried that again but man did he like that bone. He would have liked six more of them and pee'd a river.
    I would get fresh, uncooked beef leg bones from the butcher. In the old days they were free, that didn't last very long. I would have the butcher cut them to about 4"-6". The raw bones were not hard and brittle like a cooked bone and the dogs loved the marrow which is fatty and good for their coats.

Gator

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    correct no chicken nor turkey bones either. I suppose vets disagree amongst themselves, but our trusted vet says NO bones and no rawhides or hoofs either. So our guys get Milk Bones and for their teeth they get Greenies to chew on along with Kongs.
    IMG_1665.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    at least yours was pee, gave mine runs....poor thing...at least it was all on one carpet...and it happened to be a cheap one

I think rawhides are considered dangerous because they break off in large pieces and the dogs can choke.

Vet said to me nothing that you can't dent with your fingernail....

heres the thing...mine has actually chewed through and eaten a kong, indestructable fire hose toy, and many other things labeled in such a way....but weirdly enough she has never chewed any furniture or anything...

Once mine gets most of the marrow out of the leg bones, I usually stuff it with some other treat for her...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i wouldnt give my dog cooked chicken bones, but hes eaten plenty of them. sister feeds raw chicken bones to her dog with raw chicken. my dog eats all the others, probaly not the safest but i havent ever had a problem heatlwise with bones and dogs.i will take them away if i see them splintering though. flips, rawhides, kneecaps, cow ears etc, there is always a bag of something and he will let you know when there isnt. he burries the milk bones and doesnt touch things like kongs etc, he would rather chew on logs and sticks.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Adam,

I give mine marrow bones once I have used them for stock. They usually prefer my shoes though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Same thing here. We have a mini schnauzer and we have given him those toys that cant be torn up and he still tears em up. At the same time he doesn't chew on anything else in the house. Weird.
    IMG_5477.jpg
  • bitslammer
    Options
    I'd have to agree with the no bones, no rawhide. My vet felt the same way and had some pics of cases over the years where dogs got a bowel obstruction from raw hide. Stuff does not digest like you'd think.

When Jax was still around it was nothing but Nylabones, the rubber Gumabone version, and other hard rubber toys. He too was a destroyer of anything marked indestructible. I should have just bought him old tires,

Whatever the case the vet said I must have been doing something right because Jax made it to 11yrs old which is on the ong end for an English Bulldog.

jaxin%20grass6x8.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I wouldn't give him pork chop bones.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Think I'll stick to the live ones that they drop in my hand :)
    IMG_0851.jpg

It was duck opener this weekend. So the girls got in a little swim time and some much desired feathers in the mouth.

Thanks for the input.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great pic Adam!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Options
    She is as loyal a dog as has ever been. This could be her last year.(arthritis) Not sure how I'll handle her sister hunting and her not.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :P :P :P B) Lucky devil!!! :)