Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt Smoke - Questions

UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try my first pork butt smoke this weekend on a large BGE and have a couple questions:

1. I am using applewood smoking chips for flavor. Any suggestions on liquids other than water to add to the drip pan to enhance the taste even more?

2. Should I put it directly on the grill surface or elevate it in a roast rack?

Thanks! Hope to have pictures of a success on Sunday night!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No liquid in drip pan is necessary.
    Directly on the grid is fine.

Good Luck!
  • If you are going for the apple taste, try adding a little apple juice but it will be very subtle if at all that you can taste it.
    Platesetter legs up, regular grid with meat on grid. Cover your platesetter with foil if you are trying to keep it looking pretty.
    Hope this helps,
    Tom
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Same for me. Right on the grid, and no need for liquid. Can't help you on apple as I always use pecan or hickory. Good luck.
  • Can also use a large drip pan on the platesetter to catch the drippings.
  • I amswered the question but to complete it, I do not use a drip pan or add moisture to butts. In my opinion, they do not need it. I presumed he was trying to add apple flavor.
    Tom
  • Clean out the old lump and all ashes - compulsively. Build a fire (look up Alton Ward's method on the Forum), starting with largest lump and decreasing in lump size at you build up. Fill with lump to within an inch of the fire ring. You can mix your smoking wood (apple) in with the lump as you stack it up, so you are always getting to new apple wood. Start you fire in at least three separate places on top of the lump. Put your platesetter, drip pan, grid all in the egg and let it stabilize at 250* for 45 minutes or more.

When you add you butt (either right on the grid on in a V-rack), expect the dome temp to drop but don't adjust the vents unless it doesn't come back up to 250 in 20-30 minutes. Avoid chasing the temp.

Plan on 1.5 -2 hr per pound total cook time. If you don't have a power vent (BBQ Guru or Stoker) get up and check it several times throughout the night.

It will go through the plateau from 160 -180*. This may take several hours, so be patient. IMHO, I think it should get to 200-205* internal, though some pull at 195.

Enjoy - this is a great, forgiving cook.

We just reheated some vac-sealed, frozen pulled pork from a March cook and it was a good as it was in March !
  • Rooster, I'm with you - not juices and I don't think apple juice will add much flavor.

I was just suggesting an aluminum pan might be a little less messy that foil on the platesetter. Just a subtle clean-up thingie.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    For butt, I have never used anything but hickory chips or chunks. I've always thought that most of the name brand Q joints in North Carolina used either hickory or oak - or a blend - but I've never heard of pork butt with apple wood. Apple juice/cider injections, yes, but not smoke wood. Doesn't mean anything really, just that I've never heard of it. I may have to try it sometime myself. Never smoked with cherry either, but after last night's chicken, I WILL do it again!! Delicious!!

Oh, and another vote for legs up, butt directly on the grate with a drip pan under it (resting on the platesetter). No liquid added.

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rolling Egg
    You need to get you some cherry wood. Next time you cook chicken or ribs, go with cherry. It gives it a great flavor and color. I was the same as you, never tried it before. I'm glad I did.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Guess I just didn't phrase it right. I DID use cherry on last night's chicken. I just never had before that. AWESOME stuff!!

Ribs, huh? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    I'm doing 2 Bostons tonight and I did put some water in the drip pan because when I did the Brisket last weekend, the drippings started to burn and I had to throw the (foil) pan away. Just trying to avoid wasting a $1.00 drip pan.............I'm not cheap, am I?
  • Rolling Egg
    Start taking heavy duty aluminum foil and pulling off about 4 feet. Double it over and roll up the edges and make your on pan any size you wish. I've been doing this for a year now with no leaks or problems. Just throw away when done. If you start trying to keep the foil clean, then your cheap :woohoo: :woohoo: