Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Habanero Peppers??

bayouegger
bayouegger Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A co-worker just gave me a whole bunch of habanero peppers. Any ideas what I can do with them? Has anyone tried roasting/smoking them? If a smoked Jalapeno is called a Chipotle then what is a smoked habanero called?

habaneros.jpg

I know they are the hottest pepper around but I was thinking of removing the seeds and stems. I'm open to any and all ideas! Pepper Jelly? Salsa?

thanks!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    It's called Out of this world hot. :)
    I've started cooking with Serrano's alot lately, working my way toward the Habanero.
    Those look beautiful.

I think I would roast them, chop them, and freeze in separate small batches to use when you need a heat spike in a dish.
  • A buddy of mine makes increadible habanero jelly that I just got to try. I don't know the recipe but I'm sure there are many available.

At the Springfield eggfest I made habanero/peach glazed chicken wings that were in demand. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it was roughly one 7 oz. can of sliced peaches, 1/4 cup of windsor canadian whisky, a couple of table spoons of bbq rub, some brown sugar (don't remember how much, some cumin, and 1 pepper.

When I bought my peaches the only can I could find was 15 oz so I just doubled everything else including the peppers. When I taste tested it I lost my breath so I wewent to thin it a little more with another can of peaches but all I had was pinapple so I used it.

Grind it all up in a food processor and marinade on the wings for several hours (I did more than 24 hours because of travel time. I had lots of compliments so I don't think you can go wrong.

Good luck!

Bruce
  • I don't like the flav. of them, so I dried some in my ( Ron Popiel Ronco food dryer). I might put one in a pot of chili, etc. It's HOT, once I take the Habanero out of the dish, pot, everything returns to a normal heat factor. I've seen manly dudes run for milk, colas, etc. My fav is cayenne powder on everything but ice cream.
    Sriracha HOT chili sauce in full of flavor and reasonable heat also.
    Enjot your habs. beware, and Smiles to you.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Set out a big bowl on Halloween! :evil: :woohoo: Kids love 'em! :sick:
  • Nice looking peppers!

I once made a sauce similar to cayenne sauce with them. I took out the seeds and stems and threw a whole bunch in the blender. I would NOT recommend anyone do that! It created this nasty cloud in the kitchen that would tear through any membrane on your body.

They are great in fruit salsas, though. I make a pineapple/mango salsa with them that goes roughly like this:

1 pineapple chopped into small bits
    1 mango chopped the same
    1 red pepper chopped the same
    juice of 1 lime
    half a bunch of cilantro chopped
    however many (I use 2) habaneros chopped as finely as possible (as many as the consumers can handle :evil: )

Mix all ingredients to evenly distribute and stick in fridge for a couple of hours for flavors to meld.

Enjoy them.
  • i have done similar with apricot some wine and cooked down and put on salmon
  • I've made the Habanero Jelly and it is incredible. Let me look for the recipe tonight when I get home and I will post it if I find it.
  • my wife will make some navy beans, in a seperate pot fry some onion and chiles and bacon, deglaze with beer and then add the beans.

she will also grind up some tomatilloe after grilling them and add chiles and onions to taste as a dip or sauce over tacos, also good with chipoltle added

i like taking leftover corn on the cob, cut it off fry chiles and onion and throw in the sweet corn and fry until a little carmalized

i would also freeze some, there are a lot there
  • Lookiing at those makes me want to hide under the bed.......... :sick:
  • When I have them on hand I will add a sliver or two to a few ABT's (just for me). I like the flavor but it doesn't take much to be too much. Once you get to the "too much" it's too late.

Spring "Scorched Bonnet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    The other day I googled Atomic Buffalo Turds and came across Habanero's made just like ABT's but they call em Dragon Turds.

Have a feeling you better like HOT for those. :whistle:

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • "My fav is cayenne powder on everything but ice cream." You might like it in ice cream too! We have a little shop that sells gelato nearby. They make a chocolate cayenne gelato that is fantastic!
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Davidg5700 wrote:
    Nice looking peppers!

I would NOT recommend anyone do that! It created this nasty cloud in the kitchen that would tear through any membrane on your body.

That is frackin hilarious! :woohoo:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bayou....Those are beautiful little packages of PAIN! :evil: :laugh: Several years ago, I decided to 'substitute' habenerno in a salsa. :ohmy: :woohoo: :evil: It was the birthing of my first hot sauce....not edible for a salsa. :laugh: :huh: They are a traditional ingredient in Jamaican Jerks....but as everyone has said, go easy!!
    The one absolute positive NO doubt advice I will give you....wear gloves!!! (my hands burnt for 3 days after my little 'experiment' :laugh: :silly: :laugh: ) Happy cookin' to you! :) Keep us posted! ;)
  • That would be really great if you could find that recipe!

Thanks!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    A friend of mine would boil them down...don't ask me how....mix the rendering with a little olive oil to make a paste, and seal it in those small jars that chopped/minced garlic comes in. He would give these small jars as gifts . They came in very handy to spice up foods. Just a bit on the end of a spoon would heat up a big pot of beans, etc. The jars lasted a long time. :P
  • Bruce

I think I missed your wings at Springfield. Bet they were good though. Gonna have to try it.

ee
  • Those look HOT!
    There was a guy at the Denver Eggfest who was walking around with a platter of those cut in pieces.I didn't know they were habenaros And I took the biggest one.Man they lit up my mouth like an atom bomb went off.After about fifteen minutes the heat went away and I could taste them. They were great!:S :ohmy: :evil:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I almost ate one of those. :ohmy: I heard someone say habanero in the last second. It did touch my lip and that was enough. :pinch:
  • Throw in a whole pepper when you are cooking up some rice. When rice is cooked, discard the pepper. It infuses flavor into the rice and is not to hot.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    I love to grind them in with burger meat. I made a batch of taco's the other night I put the whole pepper in and then with the sauce was done the pepper comes out. Don't cut the pepper just drop it in whole.

I also slice them and put them on my steak and cheese samiches!
  • bayouegger wrote:
    Any ideas what I can do with them?

Jerk, Jerk and more Jerk. I love the stuff. Jerked chicken, pork, fish, you name it. I have found that I need to go easier on the habanero when I'm making a jerk marinade for protein that will not be cooked for very long. Fish, for example (jerk mahi is great). But if I'm doing jerk pork, and I'm going to cook it until the outside is nice, dark and crispy, the heat seems to kill a lot of the habanero heat. The last batch of jerk pork that I made had 9 habaneros in it (I think it was a 5 lb butt). It had heat, no mistake, but it wasn't at all overpowering.

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg
  • WOW Boilmaker, that pork looks great! Do you a recipe for your Jerk marinade?

Thanks!
  • I like the recipe that's in Seven Raichlen's "How to Grill"