Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs - MMMmmmmmm!

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All...[p]We did a bunch of cooking this weekend, as usual, but the pics didn't cooperate as well as I'd have liked.[p]Friday - Shrimp, Scallops, and Catfish dusted with DizzyPig Raging River rub and served with cheese grits and a salad...[p]Saturday - Marinated venison roast and Tsunami dusted chicken thighs served with corn on the cob and fresh pineapple.[p]Sunday - Cherry smoked sausage and eggs for breakfast, marinated grilled portabellas with smoked gouda, apple butter and served on toasted crusty french bread for lunch, and finally, spareribs and drbbq's corn cassarole for supper.[p]You may remember last weekend, I wasn't happy with how my ribs turned out. Well, I tried again...[p]Here they are just before I took them off the cooker...
ribs-lotq-on-cooker.jpg[p]Here they are on the serving platter...
ribs-lotq-served.jpg[p]And here they are sliced up and ready to eat...
ribs-lotq-sliced.jpg[p]So, the moral of the story is...if they don't turn out like you prefer...just keep trying![p]Holiday wishes to all,
Tonia
:~)[p][p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    QBabe,
    did my first-ever spares this weekend, and they were great.[p]made me REALLY question this fuss over baby-backs.[p]then again, maybe since i never had my baby-backs turn out as well as i'd hoped, i really don't know what good b-backs ARE...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • QBabe, The picture of the ribs in the rack with the smoke curling around belongs on a magazine cover...awsome!![p]SB

• QBabe,
    They look great. I'm curious to know what you did different this time. Thanks,
    William

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    QBabe,[p]I always hesitate opening your posts because you take just the coolest pictures, it makes me want to leave work and go cook something. Yeesh, those look awesome.[p]Keep up the good work Tonia.[p]Mick

• QBabe,[p]when are you guys gonna quit your day jobs and open up a restaurant?[p]Unbelievable stuff you're making. [p]cb
  • QBabe, I don't know who is salivating more over that awesome picture of those smokin ribs. Me or my Springer.

• QBabe,[p]Hmmmm good. I'm ready for egging this evening.[p]Did you cut those spares St. Louie style?[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX
    75 degrees with blue skies

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • QBabe
    WilliamH,[p]Unfortunately, too many variables to know exactly, LOL...![p]1) Did spares instead of baby backs. Main reason was last weekend, I pulled the baby backs out of the freezer. This weekend, I had no ribs in the freezer and had to pick them up. Spares are considerably cheaper than baby backs.[p]2) Kept the dome temp in the 225° - 250° range rather than 275°.[p]3) Used a different rub recipe.[p]4) Used a mop every 45 minutes or so, which I've never tried before.[p]5) No sauce this time. I had planned to glaze them but when I opened the cooker the last time and checked with a thermapen and found all of them to be in the 190°'s, I didn't want them to overcook, so I pulled them. I probably could have just shut everything down and done a light glaze, but after last weekend, didn't want to chance it.[p]6) No mustard this time.[p]So, who knows why they came out better...could be a combination of all of these factors, or just one...I'll probably never know...![p]I guess the trick will be if I can reproduce them...!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    QBabe,
    Those are killer looking ribs, great color and I can almost smell them. I have yet to have anything come out looking like that. Keep the pictures coming please.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• QBabe,[p]Awesome pics and thanks for sharing what you did differently on this batch.
  • QBabe,Found your posting of ribs cooking 12/08/03,they look nice!I've yet to try ribs on BGE.Several questions for you!Does brand of raw ribs make a difference,such as Hormel etc?How many hours did you cook them at 225-250?Did you use any wood flavor chips?What kind of hardwood?You wet mopped every 45 minutes with what formula?What spice rub do you normally use?It appears you used nothing but water filled drip pan under egg grate and nothing else as indirect heat source?Where you get that rib grate,its super?Sorry to be so inquisitive but this is a great learning exchange forum!Be assured I won't give away any trade secrets!LOL I'm just trying to find best techniques for fall off the bone ribs.Been told low and slow is the way to go!Wait for your answers!Thanks

• QBabe
    Pebble,[p]Whew! Lets see if I can answer some of your questions. I'll put my answers in ALL CAPS to make it easier to follow...[p]
    "Does brand of raw ribs make a difference,such as Hormel etc?"
    HONEST ANSWER, I DON'T KNOW. I USUALLY BUY MY RIBS AT SAM'S CLUB AND HAVEN'T REALLY COMPARED BRANDS.[p]"How many hours did you cook them at 225-250?"
    ABOUT 4 1/2 HRS TOTAL.[p]"Did you use any wood flavor chips? What kind of hardwood?"
    YES, I USED 4 LARGE CHUNKS OF HICKORY AND 2 HANDFULS OF CHERRY CHIPS. I ACTUALLY BURIED 3 OF THE HICKORY CHUNKS IN THE LUMP CHARCOAL NEAR THE CENTER SO THEY WOULD CONTINUE SMOKING THROUGHOUT THE COOK. THEN I PUT ONE BIG CHUNK AND THE TWO HANDFULS OF CHERRY ON TOP OF THE BURNING LUMP WHEN I LOADED THE COOKER UP WITH THE MEAT.[p]"You wet mopped every 45 minutes with what formula?What spice rub do you normally use?"
    BOTH THE MOP AND THE RUB WERE NEW RECIPES. I'M AT WORK RIGHT NOW, SO I'LL HAVE TO LOOK IT UP WHEN I GET HOME.[p]"It appears you used nothing but water filled drip pan under egg grate and nothing else as indirect heat source?"
    ACTUALLY, I USED THE BGE PLATESETTER, THEN THE DRIP PAN, BUT USED NO WATER AT ALL IN THE PAN. JUST USED IT TO CATCH THE DRIPPINGS FROM THE MEAT.[p]"Where you get that rib grate,its super?"
    I BELIEVE THAT WE GOT THAT AT EITHER LOWES OR HOME DEPOT.[p]Don't ever apologize for asking questions. That's the wonderful thing about this forum. We're all here to learn from each other and this is a great place to get lots of wonderful ideas...[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]