Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orka gloves...WOOT Deal...Semi off topic

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw several posts the other day when the Orka gloves were the WOOT deal of the day.
They are nice because they are long and the price was great.
But...Beware, they are the light duty version. They are thin compared to my two other sets. The Woot deal gloves are rated to 450 degrees and my two others are good to 600 degrees. On the up side the thinner gloves do flex better and they are easier to grip with. They are thin enough they are translucent. Would not want to grab lump or a plate setter at pizza temp with the thin ones. I did not research enough before purchase to know more than one duty rating was made. Just FYI.
Thanks,
darian
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Good info Photo Egg, most of us probably wouldn't have known it either. You are on topic as it has to with egg cooking.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Bordello is right: the topic is spot on. Didn't know there are different temperature ratings on the mitts. As they are a planned purchase I'll check thickness before I buy.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Thanks for the heads-up! Hopefully the OT cop won't attack you for that one! 8 - )
  • I purchased the gloves as well but have yet to use them, thanks for the heads-up.

Lazydog B)
  • Just devote these to taking meat off the grid or out of a pan. Use the others for touching hot hardware.

Spring "A Hot Coal In The Hand Takes Less Than A Second To Examine" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Photo Egg
    That was my plan.
    Still worth the money and good for light duty normal cooks. I'm just going to keep them away from the high temp cooks. Great for indoor oven use as well. I wish my other were this long.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I agree that this post is absooutely ON topic.
    But at the risk of sounding negative, do you really pick up hot lump with your gloved hands? I can't think of a single instance where I have needed to move hot lump, and if I did I would use tongs. Thats just me, I do alot of stuff wrong.
  • Photo Egg
    I agree, I would not want to pick up hot lump with Okra gloves. I only put out warning because another Egger from the original post said he used his to handle hot lump. I did not want another person that viewed the original thread to try moving hot lump with the lower rated gloves not knowing. I believe he said he did this at an Eggfest to speed up cooling and moving Eggs by removing the lump with the gloves. I guess it might have been better of me to omit the lump thing all together.
    Thanks,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Mine came last Thursday. I haven't used them yet, but they will be put to the test tonight. I have my big 6.5qt oval dutch oven on at 350*. It will be cooking one of my favorite dishes for the next 4-5 hours. I plan to use the big orkas to see it they can handle it.

Oh, the cook I mentioned: Italian Sausage and Peppers
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Darian,
    not sure if I'm the person you referred to or not, but twice I have used my heavy blue 600° Orkas to scoop out hot lump after contests in order to speed along the cool down so I could pack up. It never phased me or the gloves but I agree I wouldn't do that with these 450° mitts. BTW I bought 4 of them from WOOT also and didn't either catch the 450° or didn't read far down enough. Oh well, just the same they beat leather welder gloves any old day.

BTW I've even used my Orkas as ladder bumper mitts to protect inside walls! Even paint comes right off! :laugh:
    IMG_0447.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Bacchus wrote:
    I agree that this post is absooutely ON topic.
    But at the risk of sounding negative, do you really pick up hot lump with your gloved hands? I can't think of a single instance where I have needed to move hot lump, and if I did I would use tongs. Thats just me, I do alot of stuff wrong.

I was once stuck in the jungle with my egg and nothing to move hot lump with. I was forced to use my bare hands :( . I wish I had some Orka's. :whistle:

:whistle: :P :whistle: :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • I bought some too. I like them for added protection when doing a high temp seer. Can't be too careful with flashback.

Fred V.
    Smyrna, Ga.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Photo Egg
    Yes, it was you. Just don't want to drag you in.
    Both my original pair are the HD 600 degree in red.
    I have had some warm hands but never enough to hurt.
    I picked up 3 pair of the Woot deal. Still worth the money but would love to have a pair of the long 600 degree gloves.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Great use. Very long glove. They come almost to my elbow.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    By the way, save your Okras.
    Tie and old shoe to the top of your ladder.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    actually I have the yellow rubber "boots" made specifically for that ladder but couldn't find them that day when I recruited my Orkas for the task!
  • RRP
    to your elbow? I must have short arms as the chafe my armpits! :laugh:
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Yeah I bought them too. I wondered since the ones I ordered seemed so pliable and I have heard guys knock them for being tough to bend. Oh well, I am mostly a low temp jockey so hopefully the lower grade won't be a problem.
  • I didn't see that either. I ordered 2 pairs. They have not been delivered yet. I was hoping to use these for tings like pizza stones and plate setters. So am I correct in assuming I should NOT do this with the Woot orcas if over 450?
  • Photo Egg
    They are made from the same material. The higher temp ones are just thicker. I would say be careful til you know what you can handle before your hands get to hot.
    It sucks to hold something very hot as your hands are starting to burn and you just can't drop it and have 15 more yards to "run" with a hot cast iron pan full of food. Just guessing, never been there...this week.
    Try picking up a your hot plate setter "knowing" you already have a close, planned place to set it down. Hold on to it just over your drop zone and time the heat exposure as a future guide.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    I always treat that heat grade as a suggestion too! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Photo Egg
    Man, I agree.
    After a day of cooking and drinking I don't always think things through. I just "think I can" a little to often.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bordello:

Many years ago, we lived on the edge of Scotsdale and looked out our family room door and kitchen window on the Superstitions. Neat view, no houses between us to block the view.

You brought back memories.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Tonight I carried a heavy CI DO full of goodness from the egg into the kitchen using the orka gloves - couldn't feel a thing.

So I went back out, the egg was cruising at 375*. I grabbed the platesetter to see how long I could hold onto it before I started feeling the heat. After about 40-45 seconds I still felt nothing so I decided they were more than sufficient for my purposes.

Next time I do pizza I will give them a rip with a pizza stone in the 550* range and see what happens.
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Last week I saw the fellas at Costco handling roasted chickens with some mitts that looked really well made. I asked what they were and he said "Fryer Gloves." He said they were rated at 450 degrees and could handle a "a lot higher than that." I'm not sure what that meant, but looked them up on the web and there are several models, rated between 300 and 450. They look well made and aren't too expensive. Anyone ever try them?