Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt- problem???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got large BGE three weeks ago and decided I would jump right in feet first and try to do pulled pork. Well, I put two butts on last night and babysat them all night. kept dome at 200 and butts plateaud around 150-160 for several hours. Could never get polder to register above 186 even though I had dome at 260. Butts cooked for 23 hours. I finally took them off and they pulled fine. Any suggestions for me. Could it be my polder? still had fire in the box. I appreciate the forum and read it every day and have learned alot for you all. thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Virginia,
    Your cooking level temp is usually lower than your dome temp, so I think you did not have enough heat to get the job done in a reasonable time. Next time, see how you like gong at 250 dome, and don't hesitate to crank it to 275 or more after you reach 170 internal. 8 pounders usually take 14 or 15 hours at these temps.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ