Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pampered Chef Pizza Stone

Options
tread
tread Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My fiance and I got a Pizza stone from the pampered Chef prior to getting our BGE...I was wondering if anyone has tried using a Pampered Chef pizza stone on their BGE yet or if it's advisable? From what i've seen, the thickness of it is slightly less than that of the BGE cooking stone...

thoughts?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've used it a few times. Until I read of many people having them bust during a hot pizza cook. I just do personal pies on the small with a med. BGE stone. Much thicker and probably a different type of stone. BGE will back up that stone FOREVER! The Pampered people will just sell you another. Not to mention a pizza as well as a meal may be lost :ohmy:
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone but I believe I have read in previous posts here that they are a little too thin and tend to crack when used on the BGE. Search the forum for "Pampered Chef" and see if you can find those posts.

Here's one relevant thread I found:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=719705
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    There have been reports of the pampered chef stone breaking under normal use in the egg. My take on it is you're never going to use anything else to cook pizza on so use it 'til it breaks then upgrade. Keep the pieces, it's amazing how often little pieces of ceramic are useful in separating things so they are not in thermal contact. One use is lifting a drip pan up off the platesetter during an indirect cook so the drippings don't burn as easy.

Doug
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    pizzastones1.jpg

PC on left, BGE on right
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Hi Tread,

I can tell you from personal experience that the pampered chef stone and the BGE do not get along. Ours cracked in half during the third pizza cook. Get the BGE stone, it works perfectly.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. Keep the Pampered Chef for the oven.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Hornhonk,

Pampered Chef replaced our broken stone. It is still as good as new as it has never been used -- why cook pizza in the oven :unsure: when you got the egg :laugh: .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• PhilOsh
    Options
    My non BGE pizza stone broke in half last week during a preheat to about 500*. I'm buying BGE"s.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have also read and seen pictures of the PC stone breaking…
    But, I have one and use it in the Egg. It’s an old devil and has seen many uses in the oven before getting the Egg experience. I haven’t had a problem yet.
    I do now have a BGE stone, but use them both when making two (or more) pies.
    OTOH, I always have the Egg up set for baking with my plate setter in, legs down with a spacer between it and the stone and I don’t bake at the super high temps. keeping to about 400 to 450 F.
    There is no doubt that the BGE stone is superior in heft, but I’m still using the PC when I want two pies on.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    The PC stone will break. I have had a couple break on me. The BGE stone is too small so you can buy it or buy a larger Kiln shelf or you can buy a Primo stone that is larger.

I have several pizza stones and I use either my Primo or my kiln shelf and they have held up to 1000 deg pizza cooks.

I have cooked several hundred pizzas on all of my stones and some of my cooks are 1000 deg cooks. The BGE stone is a good stone but limits you to the size of pizza and you will find out quickly that a larger stone will cook pizza's better because you have a larger surface to displace the heat. Now you might end up burning your gasket but the best way to stop that is to raise the stone higher than the edge of the egg.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have a stone I bought at The Christmas Tree Shop on sale for $4.00 it came with a little carrier and a pizza cutter. I have used it for a couple of years with no problem, probably 30-40 pizzas. Just make sure you put the cold stone in the egg before it gets very hot and leave it in till it cools down. The pizza cutter was a piece of crap :laugh:

I have a problem paying $30 or more for a pizza stone.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    VERY GOOD point on the warm and cool down!
    I forgot to mention in my post that I practice this too!
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    It is doo doo!
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    Ditto.

First time in the Egg was the last. Broke off a large chunk, THEN I did the research and found that it was a fairly common occurence (face/palm)

Oh well......live n learn
    South SLO County
  • hutchybones
    Options
    Glad to see this discussion. I'm relatively new at this too. I just happened to have a PC stone and decided I'd try it rather than pay $40 for a BGE or other stone. So far it hasn't broken (maybe 8-10 tries), but I let it heat up slowly with the egg and cool down slowly with the egg, and I use the plate setter with the rack for a spacer, cooking at lower temps. I do think the PC stone does only a fair job at even heat. Probably has to do with the thinness and the material itself. I always have "hot spots" on the crusts. When this one breaks, I will buy a different brand.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I had a pc pizza stone and I broke it in half warming it up when I lit the bge so, when there was a sale at the bge supply store I got the bge pizza stone @ 25% off and a nice peel to go with it! ;) I have not tried my now two peice pc again but I plan to contact pc and try to get it replaced I heard they have a life time warranty so, I will try.
    Tim
  • bryansj
    Options
    I had to tell my wife to stop buying PC stuff from her friend. It is mostly gimmicky crap. Their corkscrew and bottle opener are horrible and most things never get used and just take up drawer space. However, we can't get rid of the stuff since she paid too much for it and she "might" use it in the future.

We do have the pizza stone so I'll use it until it breaks. Most of my pizza cooks have been with the plate setter legs up directly on the grid. I haven't made a homemade pizza yet for the Egg, but I will real soon. Just found a nice new-in-box Viking 5qt stand mixer for cheap and will be making pizza dough and will need the stone.

I think Alton Brown should do a show on Pampered Chef since he hates unitaskers...
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I wouldn't use it. This photo was sent to me by a reader who used one. He said the event was quite violent:

pchef.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I used a PC stone for around 10 months. It cracked due to my stupidness. I got it to hot (700) and threw a queso on it that had been coated in butter. As quick as it hit it split. If you have a thicker one use it. If not then go ahead with th PC. Just make sure you put it on and let it come up to temp with the egg and try to hold it under 600 or so. Who knows how long it'll last. Good luck.