Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about Getting an EGg

achilles007
achilles007 Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey.. guys...

I am thinking about getting an Extra large egg-- but just a couple of questions.

I am hoping to bake bagels in my BGE--which need about 1000+ degree temperature.

Will the BGE be able to deliver that amount of heat for me?

Has anyone personally experienced their cooker to get up to 800+ degrees before?

Thanks alot guys

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yes. It is possible.

This photo is my mini, but the large gets even hotter.

MiniJammin.jpg
  • Not sure why you need that high of a temperature for bagels. I make them regularly. Prep the dough, roll out, make into shape, boil, and cook on the egg at 400.
  • Hi Ron,

Do you cook anything at that temp or just clean the egg out?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LOL - bagels at 1,000°? That's kinda hot, but BAKING trolls takes a lot less time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    At 1000* them Trolls crisp eggstremely fast!

I Roastem at 750 and do a reverse sear :woohoo:

Can it get to 800? :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: SICK EM!!! :whistle: :evil:
  • :ohmy: :woohoo: :silly: :laugh: :silly: :woohoo:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    LOL
    My thoughts too.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Quit thinking and geaux get one - or two. :)

If you are serious about 1000 degrees, I would get something smaller. You will burn a lot of lump on an XL at temps above 600 and to be honest the XL kinda of scares me at those temps. I take my small and mini to 700 often but don't have any reason to go that high on an XL.
  • DSCN1070.jpg
    The needle has swung past 750*. I'm guessing it's around 800*-825*

DSCN1073.jpg
    took a reading of the exhaust gases coming out the top. Pegged the thermapen in "hi" alarm...

fyi, took out the stock thermometer and put in a tel-tru. i think it's more accurate.
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    it's nine hundred...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive only used the large that high a temp, my small wont do it without a fan in the lower vent, not sure about the xl. there are some problems, see my post, i think im one of maybe two or three eggers to cook that high, ive gone as high as 1200 for pizzas. opening and closing an xl will be scary at those temps, you need to beef up the bands, add clips to hold the bands on once thermal expansion takes over on the steel parts, forget about using the stock gaskets. im not sure i like the shape of the xl for these higher temps, the dome is less curved and the flat bottom is much bigger, this weekens the design for those higher temps. be aware that the dome will fall of if you dont make some mods
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=411252
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    i was hoping to see his first bagel cooked at 1000 degrees in the blue hovering fireball :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• I had special knobs put on mine. Now they go to 11. :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's weird cause I've had my t-pen WELL over 1000 degrees. Roughly 1,400*

Is that the new style pen?
  • Could you point us to a recipe for baking bagels at 1000 degrees?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Yes, it's the new splashproof thermapen. i think it went into hi alarm at 600.
  • RRP wrote:
    LOL - bagels at 1,000°? That's kinda hot, but BAKING trolls takes a lot less time!

Ripnem wrote:
    At 1000* them Trolls crisp eggstremely fast!

I Roastem at 750 and do a reverse sear :woohoo:

Can it get to 800? :laugh:

Bordello wrote:
    LOL
    My thoughts too.

Cheers,
    Bordello

fishlessman wrote:
    i was hoping to see his first bagel cooked at 1000 degrees in the blue hovering fireball :laugh:

Little Steven wrote:
    I had special knobs put on mine. Now they go to 11. :laugh:

lol... good one guys. but c'mon-- cut me some slack.

I am trying to weigh the options out between spending 1000 on a big green egg that can churn me out some lovely bagels, st. louis style Pizza, and beautifully seared hamburgers @ 800 plus temperature-- or to spend 1000 on slaving over building a WFO and then on top of that spending another 500 on a Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking.

I SO much do not want to take that route-- I would rather just get the BGE than painstakingly spend a month building while simultaneously burning a hole in my wallet. Please help anyone
  • Fidel wrote:
    Yes. It is possible.

This photo is my mini, but the large gets even hotter.

MiniJammin.jpg

ah! PERFECT. thank you sir.
  • Grey Bee wrote:
    Not sure why you need that high of a temperature for bagels. I make them regularly. Prep the dough, roll out, make into shape, boil, and cook on the egg at 400.

Are you SURE, sir?

I SWEAR I was told that bagels were to be cooked at 800+ temperature... as well as Pizza too.
  • jagweed wrote:
    it's nine hundred...

Ah! Yes it is.. Thank you sir.

highpress wrote:
    DSCN1070.jpg
    The needle has swung past 750*. I'm guessing it's around 800*-825*

DSCN1073.jpg
    took a reading of the exhaust gases coming out the top. Pegged the thermapen in "hi" alarm...

fyi, took out the stock thermometer and put in a tel-tru. i think it's more accurate.

Thank you.

I am quite surprised that for the high price the Thermapen sells for that it does not go up into the 800+ degree marks.
    Oh well. Guess I can use it for making cheese.
    :S

Frank in Houma wrote:
    Quit thinking and geaux get one - or two. :)

If you are serious about 1000 degrees, I would get something smaller. You will burn a lot of lump on an XL at temps above 600 and to be honest the XL kinda of scares me at those temps. I take my small and mini to 700 often but don't have any reason to go that high on an XL.

So would you suggest a large?
    I just dont have that kind of money to afford multiple of these things. Therefore I want to go as BIG as possible. How much would you say a large would feed in comparison to that of an XL-- or would it not make that much of a difference in between the sizes?
  • fishlessman wrote:
    ive only used the large that high a temp, my small wont do it without a fan in the lower vent, not sure about the xl. there are some problems, see my post, i think im one of maybe two or three eggers to cook that high, ive gone as high as 1200 for pizzas. opening and closing an xl will be scary at those temps, you need to beef up the bands, add clips to hold the bands on once thermal expansion takes over on the steel parts, forget about using the stock gaskets. im not sure i like the shape of the xl for these higher temps, the dome is less curved and the flat bottom is much bigger, this weekens the design for those higher temps. be aware that the dome will fall of if you dont make some mods
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=411252

Wow! Thank you sir.. for the info.

when you say "beef up the bands" and "add clips to hold the bands"-- where exactly do you get these items?

And "thermal expansion"?-- I'm sorry I'm just not familiar with this.

Ripnem wrote:
    That's weird cause I've had my t-pen WELL over 1000 degrees. Roughly 1,400*

Is that the new style pen?

Ah! Even though this isnt to me.. This is the perfect info I need to know. Thank you

The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Could you point us to a recipe for baking bagels at 1000 degrees?

Well, I dont have one specifically. But I remember when I was looking to build a WFO-- the genereal temperature degrees for both Pizza and Bagels were in the general 800+ range.

thats all i know. sorry
  • ...perhaps these are ceramic bagels and he's using his BGE as a kiln??
  • fishlessman
    the metal expands with heat more than ceramic expands with heat, when this happens at really high heat the bands get loose and the dome falls out. these clips help
    and you will need to make them yourself as i dont think anyones making them
    http://primogrillforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765&highlight=band+clips
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman wrote:
    the metal expands with heat more than ceramic expands with heat, when this happens at really high heat the bands get loose and the dome falls out. these clips help
    and you will need to make them yourself as i dont think anyones making them
    http://primogrillforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765&highlight=band+clips

And if you dont mind me asking sir-- how EXACTLY does one just "make" these clips?

Seeing that I am not a welder nor have any knowledge of any type of machinery/metal making.

Or maybe I should just ask around at that forum you posted?

I'll be willing to pay top dollar for the services.
  • Just so you know- after you've had a new Egg for awhile, you'll need to tighten up those bands from time to time anyway.

Unless you're cooking for large crowds (catering?)regularly, get the large.

how many will you be cooking for usually? that will tell what size you should get. When I first got my large I was thinking I should've got an XL. Then I started using it and saw that an XL would've been too big. My neighbor had an XL and they never needed all the space they had. Bigger doesn't mean better.

You can easily run the Large at 800+ if that's what you need.
  • Flashback Bob wrote:
    Just so you know- after you've had a new Egg for awhile, you'll need to tighten up those bands from time to time anyway.

Unless you're cooking for large crowds (catering?)regularly, get the large.

how many will you be cooking for usually? that will tell what size you should get. When I first got my large I was thinking I should've got an XL. Then I started using it and saw that an XL would've been too big. My neighbor had an XL and they never needed all the space they had. Bigger doesn't mean better.

You can easily run the Large at 800+ if that's what you need.

Well.. then I guess thats that!

I DID like the 24-inch space.. for pizza and to fit in more pieces of bread and stuff.

But if the XL has a hard time of getting up to 800, while the large excels-- well then my whole purpose of makins said artisan bread and pizza is already spoiled then.

Thank you.

I will do more research on this topic.

oh and btw... you wouldnt happen to know of anybody who sells these new bands to clip on to make sure the lid wont fall off after achieving 800+ temperature, do you?
  • I think you'll be ok with the bands that come with the Egg. The point is that when you run hot the bands expand and loosen so you want to make sure they're good and tight before you start.

If you're doing a lot of 800+ degree cooks, this will be more of an issue for you than the average user.

The special bands Fishlessman speaks of are not sold in stores, you'd have to have them fabricated for you at a metal shop by someone who knows what you would need.