Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

undecided

J.Y. Porkchop
J.Y. Porkchop Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been following this forum and am now convinced I should buy a BGE, however, my question is what size. I have a family of 4 but they are not really big eaters.(Me not included) I love the thought of cooking some ribs, steaks, pizza etc. but I don't know if the largest Egg is overkill, but at the same time I don't want to buy the middle size only to find out it cannot do the job I want. I am open to all suggestions as I will be making my purchase before Christmas. I hope this post isn't against any regs I know their is no receipe involved but I could use some suggestions.

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    Get a large, and then get a small later. You wont regret having the large.
    Seth

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    Get the large.....if you go smaller, the first time "it's just not big enough" you'll be kicking yourself for not going with the large. I started with a large and now have a small and a mini, which sometimes isn't enough grill space still!

• J.Y. Pork Chop, once you taste what food coming off your egg tastes like, you will all become big eaters!Hehe, I mean HO HO :~) Get the large.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    J.Y. Pork Chop,[p]Large. Trust me.[p]TRex
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    Get the large...You wont be sorry.
    Larry

• J.Y. Pork Chop,
    ditto on the large. .. i have a large. .. followed up within 3 months by a small. .. .can't tell you how often i use both for one meal for my family of 4. .. .

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    You'll use every inch of the large.[p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    J.Y. Pork Chop,[p]Welcome! [p]You do not need to have a recipe to post here, but you DO need to know the secret handshake. [p]Kidding of course. [p]I bought a medium at first, and traded it in for the large after 3 weeks. We are not huge eaters either, but like the fellers below say, you are in for a life changing event, so don't sell yourself short. There will be many instances where you will want the advantage of the extra space....especially once you get a taste of the vast array of possibilities an egg will give you.[p]Cheers! And good luck with your purchase.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    Get the large, it was the first one I bought. I am but one and not very big at that. LOL[p]I now have a large,medium and mini plus a small of a different brand. (it was a gift) Trust the poster's, get the large.[p]An example of the food:
    My neighbors asked me to Thanksgiving dinner, their bird but they wanted me to cook it in Mr. Egg, which I did. ÜÜÜ[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• J.Y. Pork Chop,
    First of all welcome. I vote for the large. You will soon find out that many, many friends will need your perfect ribs, chicken, and other goodies.
    Good luck,[p]CWM

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    I say LARGE also, it was my first, a small within 6 months of that, now have a mini in the collection.[p]Wess

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    My Vote is the LARGE..I have the large and within six months I got a small, I use the small 75% of the time but I do use the large for Pizza's, ribs and long cooks like chili, I never thought I would buy 2 eggs, but i did and i don't regret it either, when people hear about it and come over you will be glad of the large.
    dublin

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    dublin,
    You should tell Mr. Robinson you should get a discount on multiple purchases! Have you seen his new store yet?

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    J.Y. Pork Chop,
    It is just my wife and I and we went with the large. You will not be sorry, especially once someone eats food off of it and all of a sudden you are being asked to host this and that and cook for everything....[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • J.Y. Pork Chop,[p]Get the Large. I did, then I got another large. Then one morning there was a small BGE on the patio. [p]I now keep both large BGEs separated at night. [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • J.Y. Pork Chop,
    Ditto, ditto, ditto to everything everyone else has said. I started with the large and just received a mini for my birthday last month. I am thankful for the extra space. You have already chosen wisely by choosing the BGE!![p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris