Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any recouse for cracked firebox

director373
director373 Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a BGE 2nd hand from someone on craigslist a while ago, person has since moved, no way for me to reach out to them to assist with warranty. Firebox has since cracked, and I know that lifetime warranty does not extend beyond original owner. Is there any recourse method to obtain a replacement?

Comments

• I doubt it. Better go price out a replacement from a BGE dealer my friend.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Are you sure you really need a new one? Mine has been cracked into several pieces for a couple of years now. I just keep putting it back together like a jigsaw puzzle. JBWeld is holding part of it together, gravity the rest.

I've got a new one on the shelf ready to go. But, so far, I'm still getting by with the cracked one.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    you could call bge and see what they can do for you. its usually not a big deal to cook with a cracked firebox though. i took these pics summer of 07, im still using it, dont really know how many pieces are in there now ;) i think i still have the pieces laying around from my first broken box which is in better shape than this one :laugh:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=431733&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    The good thing is that if you do have to buy a new firebox, the new one is now guaranteed for life.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    I didn't know that. I bought my replacement myself because I bought the egg from the internet (no warranty) . I hope I saved the receipt for the firebox.
  • Many of us have cracked fireboxes. I've got a small and a large, both with cracked fireboxes. I just have to be careful when I take them out for a major cleaning. The small one is in three pieces and the large, about 4 or 5. Both can be "rebuilt" and work just fine. I suppose I should ask for a replacement one of these days.
  • Thanks to all for the inputs, for now I will continue using cracked one, and it never hurts to ask, so I will call BGE and inquire.

- Director373
  • Do you really need a replacement? If it is just cracked/broken but can be used by putting the pieces back together, you don't really need a new one. My firebox has been broken into 4 pieces for 8 years now....
    The Naked Whiz
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Yep, I called the mother ship and verified. Any ceramic part you buy from BGE is guaranteed for life (with the receipt of course). I have no problem buying a used egg, since only the firebox is the one part the cracks 99% of the time, just buy the new one and now you are set for life.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    that is interesting! Hmmmm, kickin tires in a used egg lot has taken on a new dimension!

Whether it's the economy or whatever it seems like more and more eggs are showing up on Craig's list or even here on the board - far more than used to be. If a guy can get a great deal on a used egg he probably has saved enough to make a one time ala'carte purchase of an internal part like a box or a ring a deal too hard to pass up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have the exact same situation as Essex County, Large and Small, in large pieces.

But in the Small, the pieces seem to have "glued" back together, maybe from grease over the several years it's been cracked. When I take out the firebowl for cleanup, I handle it very gently, with one hand through the bottom opening. So far it comes out and goes in without coming apart. But it's very definitely in several pieces visually!

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego