Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Ottawa Egg

Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Buddy,
Are you back home yet?
Give me a call when you get chance. Re:NiEGGara Fest and where do we go from here?

Just so you know, Chef Charles wants to run an Eggfest in Ottawa.
I suggested we could do it on Parlament Hill.
He said that would work. We'll call it the "Protest Fest"...Our BGE's should be eligable for the Home Improvement Tax Credit! :evil:

Thanks,

Comments

• I'll be back home this afternoon - I'll call you from there.

Eggfest in Ottawa? KEWL!! Parliament hill may be difficult, as there is typically so much going on there during the summer - tourists, changing of the guard, protesters, etc.

Cheers
  • Ottawa Egg,

I dropped in to Capital City earlier this year and mentioned that there was going to be an eggfest in Canada this year. He told me then that he would like to do something this year. One of the reps from BGE Canada liked the idea too.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Chef Charles wrote:
    Ottawa Egg,

I dropped in to Capital City earlier this year and mentioned that there was going to be an eggfest in Canada this year. He told me then that he would like to do something this year. One of the reps from BGE Canada liked the idea too.

Tom

I mentioned it to him when I was in there as well a few weeks ago.

Told him to get his ass in gear and organize something beyond the basic taste tests he's had in the past.

He told me once that BGE is by far the biggest seller he has in the store.
  • Hi tke71709,

Another national captial egger I presume! The rep told me that there are a lot of eggheads in this area. I am thinking of droping down to capital appliance in the next couple of weeks. There is got to be a way to organize a fest here in town and I am positive it would be a success.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Tom,
    count me in, I won't do poutine on the Egg, but I'll definitely cook :woohoo:
  • Tom,

There are a lot of guys that hang out over at bbqtalk.ca as well. We really should have put the fest up there too. Hindsight eh? There are a lot of guys in the Ottawa, Hull, Renfrew area. mikeb6109 probably has the best database.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• maXim,

I'll do poutine. You can do the smoked meat.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• maXim
    and I'll bring the beer this time ;)
  • Poutine - I was about to ask Max - why not, then I saw Steven's post...I think I'm in love - in the words of Rick Mercer - Go Prime Minister Jean Poutine! I almost became a Liberal after that!

Michael
  • See what one little eggfest does...now there will be Canadian Eggfests everywhere.

I'm really liking the idea of the Snowfest in Vermont - Maybe this could rotate between QC (during Bonhomme) and Vermont - or in the spring when the Maple Syrup starts to run - we could theme the whole fest around Maple Syrup. Those dishes would be yummy!

Michael
  • maXim
    And I will...

I'm working on tweaking a "stuffed" Montreal Smokedmeat recipe for the Egg...
  • What beer? :whistle:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Michael,

I don't see extra danger in frying on the egg. To me, It's safer than in the house. Get the egg away from combustibles, have an extinguisher handy and do small batches in a little oil. Easier to close the dome than trying to hit a flaming pot with a lid. Besides, it's poutine...Canada's health food...bacon free...no wait I just had an idea :laugh: :blink:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Poutine on the egg - with bacon - I'm starting to like where you're going with this idea...

Michael
  • Michael

Thinkig poutine dressed with pig candy. Help me out here :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pig candy sounds good...I was thinking poutine with bacon bits, poutine with various shredded proteins - pulled pork, chicken, ham, beef, different spices, even sate... like the nachos you get in the sports bars, possibly replacing the french fries with some potato slices so you don't have to deep fry or with some kind of protein - sticks of pork, etc. I'm sure you could change up the cheese curds too or the gravy to give it that special egg flavour.

I'd have to defer to maximum overdrive for the Quebecois blessing, but I'm sure I've seen QC recipes with many different toppings.

i'm temped to start trying different combinations until I find one that's just right for me!

Michael
  • Check out Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

It's got all kinds of variations.

Again, we'd probably need maximum overdrive's blessing for the right BGE Quebecois version! But there seems to be a lot of different styles here and it looks like Mike B. can get involved with an NB version.

Maybe we can do any kind of poutine we want as long as it's blessed by a Catholic Priest in the East End of Montreal.

Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • OK...you got my blessing ;)
    But its gotta have the basics or at the very least Fries.
    How 'bout Southern BBQ Poutine, Fries, Pulled Pork, BBQ sauce of someking...
  • In my copy of Larousse Gastronomique, the description of poutine does not match our perspective. The practically edible site has a description similar to that of Larousse Gastronomique and deals with small fish. Not sure if would want that form of poutine :laugh: .

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/poutine

Tom

Tom

• maXim
    :sick:

Tom...that is so wrong...
  • Agreed. Our landlord in Paris was heading to Montreal on business and we told him that he had to try poutine. When he got back, I asked him if he did have a chance to have poutine and he said yes, several times :evil: .

Tom

• maXim
    There's a place in Montreal that makes a "high end" poutine with fois gras... Now there's a sure way to block an artery but man I gotta try it!!!
  • Martin Picard uses foie gras in almost everything at Pied de Cochon. Anthony Bourdain in a No Reservations episode he did in Quebec went to some place that served numerous different varieties of poutine. Simply stated, you have not been to Quebec unless you sample poutine!

Tom

• maXim
    Thats the exact restaurant / chef I was referring to...
  • Poutine Fest - here we come!

I think I'm going to try a couple different methods and see what I like best.

O.K. - I won't substitute the fries!

Michael