Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket cook

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of putting a brisket on Friday night so it'll be ready for kickoff Saturday night. It's a 10 pound piece. If I put on about 10:30 or so at a nice, low 200* that should take me well into Saturday afternoon before it's ready. Of course, I'll need to cook some hot dogs or something since one of the folks coming to watch the game is actually going to pull for the Bulldogs. Hate to tell him, the brisket is for Tiger fans only!

Comments

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Shelby,[p]"Dizzy Dust" or "Cow Lick" mixed with brown sugar makes a great rub for brisket.[p]I just finished cooking a 12 pounder last night. Never used that much sugar in a rub before. Makes a great crust and helps (I think) keep the juices in. [p]It was the best I've ever cooked, and with the neighbors' help, it's all gone 8-([p]BOB
    Go Dogs (but not the ones you are talking about)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Shelby,
    Hard to say how long it will take at 200 dome temp. Problem is your cooking level will most likely be 180 or less...at least for the first few hours. 225-250 would prolly be a better bet....or if you can monitor your cooking level and keep that at 210-225, you are in bizness.[p]What time is kickoff? I'd say allow for 16 hours cooking time, and 3 hours in the cooler. If it takes 18 hours, you still have 1 hour resting in the cooler. If it takes 14, then 5 hours in the cooler is doable.[p]Best of luck to your team! Go Terps!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Shelby,
    250° and about 15 hours should do it.
    I have cooked many brisket at 250° and I don't think they could have come out any more tender had I done them at a lesser temp.
    The lower temps are much harder to hold and the time needed is too long for me.
    I would start checking the internal meat temp at around 12 hours as it could be getting done. They seem to vary as to when they are ready.
    Be sure to wrap and rest for 45 min or so, as that makes a big difference in the juicy factor.
    Good luck. It is hard to beat brisket!

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ & Egg site[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Shelby,
    A brisket is a good idea for the game. I just might do one myself. I hope the Tigers are ready. I know they are able. Go Tigers...[p]Spring (Tiger Fan) Chicken
    Spring Texas USA