Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Age Old Gasket

PKT
PKT Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone

I'm an egger of old...I've been off the forum for so long I could not remember my Name or Password but it's
a pleasant surprise to see allot of the original eggers still very active in here.
Anyway I've been running Rutland gaskets for...forever
and now I see there is a new contender -> the Nomex Ceramic Gasket

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    welcome back old timer! Just to clarify though the Nomex is not a ceramic gasket like the Cotronic gasket which actually is finely woven ceramic fiber.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    if i had a gasket it would be the rutland, i dont think the nomex will hold up like the rutland but only time will tell.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PKT
    Thanks guys.....but has there been any feedback on the
    Nomex ? I can't seem to find anything out about it at all, the thickness would be the deciding factor to even try it.
    RRP you mentioned the Cotronic gasket, isn't that the one the "other" guys use or used, I've no experience with that one either. Any idea how thick that one is?
    I know this has to be a dead subject for you guys and I apologize.
    Regards Phil
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Bubba Tim and PBM have been using the Cotronic with no problems. I'm still loving the Rutland on all 3 eggs, thanks RRP ;)
  • I know of people that use the Nomex gasket on another forum. They seem to like it. I believe that they use a 3M adhesive. Freds music and BBQ had a video on its application. He is a Egg distibutor.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hey fishman

What is the difference between a Rutland gasket and Nomex Gasket? Where can one purchase a Rutland Gasket?
    Thanks BullyC
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Sorry Fla Poolman, my mistake. Dont know why I said fishman, LOL thanks BullyC
  • I have the nomex gasket installed on a large Egg for about 9 months now. I've had zero problems since I let it cure for two days, then slowly cooked on it.

It is about as thick as the original felt, maybe slightly thicker but not much. My egg seldom leaks any smoke now unless I mess up the thermometers.

I did put mine in the dryer on high for about 45 minutes before installing it, to shrink it. Followed the video from Fred's Music and BBQ, and it has just been great since. When I get a small egg I'm going to switch it to nomex right away.

Hope that helps.
  • PKT
    Thanks Troutman I just may give one a try myself
  • Hey All,

I have a silly question... Why doesn't the Mother ship just install the nomex burnproof gasket on the eggs from the factory? Seems the R&D department believes in them so why not make it a factory install?

I've been through several felt gaskets since I've been an egger in 2003, used the Rutland and got freaked out because everyone talked about how bad they were so I pulled it off and went back to felt. I apparently had a bad base and was shipped a replacement with a new gasket on it, so I installed a new felt on the dome I had and it's still intact. Starting to look a little crusty in a few places, but still holds the temps and smoke in.

I've wondered why a stainless steel flanged gasket wasn't R&D worthy. Something that fit tightly or maybe a groove machined into the dome and base to install a silicone O ring into. I guess it's cost prohibitive??

Cheers!
    David
  • PKT
    There is a newer post in the forum here where someone
    had burned the Nomex....looked like chared cloth on the grill. Think I'll stay with the Rutlamd but I think I'll try this new 3m spray glue to stick it on with.
    The stuff Rutland supplies seems to be brittle.
    SuperDave it does seem like an easy design fix...
    hindsight... :)
  • PKT
    bullyc wrote:
    Hey fishman

What is the difference between a Rutland gasket and Nomex Gasket? Where can one purchase a Rutland Gasket?
    Thanks BullyC

You can find on E-Bay Billy it's the 5/8" tape x 7'
  • Anybody know if the same gasket size will work for the small?
  • PKT
    Sure any of these cut down. Take a look here

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

for info on
    Installing a Rutland Gasket On A Big Green Egg
  • Thanks PKT, the info is appreciated.